Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help! Computer stuck in 640x480 and 16 colors

Old 05-10-02, 08:56 PM

Help! Computer stuck in 640x480 and 16 colors

I turned on my computer yesterday and at first I thought it was in safe mode. The colors were messed up and the icons were huge. Once I figured out it wasn't in safe mode, I went to the display settings to find out is was on 640x480 and 16 colors. I changed them to normal, and it said I had to restart to change settings. I did, but nothing changed. When it turns on, the computer displays a warning saying, "HPMDLBWA caused a general protection fault
in module MMSYSTEM.DLL at 0001:00000109". Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.
Old 05-10-02, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Install current video card drivers.
Old 05-10-02, 09:27 PM

I installed what I think are the latest drivers and the problem persists. Any other ideas?

Also, sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I meant to post it here.
Old 05-10-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What OS?

Uninstall the video driver. Set the video driver to VGA mode, then install the new video driver.
Old 05-10-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

do you have an HP scanner? HPMDLBWA is apparently related to HP scanners (or maybe an all-in-one printer? officejet of some kind).

it sounds bizarre that this could be related, but everything i see on google about that filename relates to HP printer/scanners. try uninstalling the software related to an HP product and see if it helps.

might also try to use windows update (if your OS supports it) to see if there is somehow a newer fix for something on the system?
Old 05-10-02, 09:42 PM

I am on Windows 98SE.

I do have a HP all in one, but I haven't changed any of the settings or drivers or anything. I don't understand why this all happened out of the blue. I need to go out for a couple minutes, but when I get back I'll try unistalling the drivers for the monitor and for the printer. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-11-02, 01:05 PM

Still nothing...

I uninstalled the video drivers, let Windows detect the monitor and use the standard VGA monitor drivers, and then downloaded and installed the latest drivers for my video card. Nothing changed, except I now have a RUNDLL error, saying, "Error in NvQTwk Missing Entry: NcCplDaemon".

I took the HPMDLBWA file out of my startup folder and that error is gone. Should I still try to do something with the printer drivers?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am running out of ideas.
Old 05-11-02, 01:22 PM

One more thing... When I go to device manager, under display adapters, my video card is listed and has a yellow exclamation point on it. Under properties it says it is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. If I am downloading the latest drivers from the nvidia website, what could the problem be?
Old 05-11-02, 03:04 PM

I tried to install an older version of the driver. When I went to install it, I got an error, saying, "Setup was unable to write the following information into an .INI file: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI:[386Enh]EMMExclude". It then said the setup would be terminated. It finished installing, however, and device manager now says the device is working properly.... but I am still stuck in 640 by 480 and 16 colors. I don't know if that helps, but that is my most recent attempt.
Old 05-11-02, 07:44 PM

What type of video card and monitor do you have?
Old 05-11-02, 07:55 PM

I have a NVidia Riva TNT and a Dell 17 inch Trinitron
Old 05-11-02, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by gev115
I have a NVidia Riva TNT and a Dell 17 inch Trinitron
Is this card on board? Do you know whether or not you use the Alladin drivers?
Old 05-12-02, 10:30 PM

Alladin drivers? I don't think I use those, but I could be wrong. I downloaded the Detonator driver from nvidia's site, and I tried the original driver that came with the computer, and neither worked.

Guys, any other suggestions? I have no idea what to go. Nothing is working and I'm completely out of ideas. Anyone have anything else I can try or know where to find out how to fix this? Thanks.
Old 05-14-02, 08:05 PM

*bump*

I bought a cheap video card at Best Buy just to see if that was the problem. When I tried to install the driver for that card, however, an error occured and it wouldn't install. So the video card doesn't seem to be the problem. Any other ideas?

Would formatting the hard drive and re-installing the OS do anything? I don't want to try that if it won't work anyway.
Old 05-14-02, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gev115

Would formatting the hard drive and re-installing the OS do anything? I don't want to try that if it won't work anyway.
I think that would be the next step

You could just try re-installing the OS over the existing one first though.