Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

XP sees HD,Bios does not

Old 05-10-02, 07:26 PM

XP sees HD,Bios does not

I'm building a comp for my mom using a [email protected] mhz & an Azza mb with 1999 award bios.Everything works perfectly with my old 10gb/7200 Ibm master & windows XP.Then i tried to connect a Maxtor 740L 80gb/7200 to transfer some files but bios does not see the drive,i tried all four combinations and auto detect but bios hangs/crashes when auto detecting.So i tried to enter cylinders/heads/sectors manually but that didn't work either.I really don't want to flash new bios since it has been a super stable board so far.I was also thinking of using a 80 pin wire instead of 40 since the Maxtor is ultra/133 but then i just disabled the Maxtor in bios & booted up.Now i see the drive in windows with drivers & dma settings!How can this be?If i disable cd roms or floppy in bios,windows will not see them.Another thing i tried was to boot from 98 bootfloppy but it didn't see the Maxtor either.Can some guru explain how XP seems to over ride bios?
Old 05-10-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

did you install the bios fix from the maxtor disc. this seems to work in most cases.

of course if it works in windows and is stable I guess it would not matter. My concern is that later on you will have issues with the system and the drive due to this bios problem.

by the way i think the bios sees the hard drive. it just has no idea what settings to use. it also does not recognize the settings you inputed since they did not exist at that time so again the bios is confused as to the settings to use. windows sees the drive and is able to configure it.

why who knows

Last edited by gcribbs; 05-10-02 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-10-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Modern OSes don't rely on the BIOS to detect or access drives. That's really a throwback to the old DOS days. Since Win95 at least, Windows has been detecting drives and using its own drivers for drive access.

In fact I used to rely on that to fudge a dual boot config when I had a SCSI drive and an IDE drive. Nowadays, the newer BIOSes can re-order the boot priorities, but it used to default to the IDE drive whenever present. So I would disable the IDE drive in the BIOS if I wanted to boot to the SCSI drive. Once the OS was up, the IDE drive would become fully accessible.

Basically, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The BIOS on that board is probably old and unable to recognize an 80GB drive. Windows, however, obviously has no problem with it.