Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

ANybody have any experience with WinXP and GeForce2 MX cards?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-10-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been having driver issues with my GeForce2 MX400 (AGP) dual VGA card since installing XP Pro (a new, clean install). XP has a native driver that does not include support for dual monitors on this card. I have tried downloading current NVidia drivers, and Inno3d (card manufacturer) drivers, but will have problems when trying to run games like Ghost Recon. Usually, it will just hang when starting the game. It also hangs when I plug in my MiniDV camcorder, and try to use Pinnacle Studio. Less frequently, it will hang when playing a vid clip in Media Player. If I revert to the XP driver, no crashes, but no dual monitor. I guess I'm not really looking for troubleshooting as much as wondering if anybody else has a similar config that actually works.
I like the GeForce card, but if anyone has a suggestion for a good dual head card that work well under XP, I could persuade myself to make a new purchase, and move the GeForce card to another PC.
Old 05-10-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been having driver issues with my GeForce2 MX400 (AGP) dual VGA card since installing XP Pro (a new, clean install). XP has a native driver that does not include support for dual monitors on this card. I have tried downloading current NVidia drivers, and Inno3d (card manufacturer) drivers,
The drivers that you downloaded, are they Win XP or 2000 drivers? Sometimes, Win 2000 drivers can work better. Also do you have the CD that came with the graphic card?
I wouldn't get a new card until troubleshooting this fully.
Old 05-10-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by grr1

The drivers that you downloaded, are they Win XP or 2000 drivers? Sometimes, Win 2000 drivers can work better. Also do you have the CD that came with the graphic card?
I wouldn't get a new card until troubleshooting this fully.
The drivers from NVidia and Inno3D are XP/2000 drivers. The drivers on the CD don't work any better.
Old 05-11-02, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh... if the drivers from the CD aren't any better, then it could be a win xp issue. I've heard that Win XP has some conflicts running games that use Quake III. As for the dual monitor support... sorry, can't really help you there.
Old 05-11-02, 01:23 AM

Try running windows update and see if comes up with any new drivers you haven`t tried. Also,try uninstalling your games and reinstalling them after updating your drivers.Be sure Directx is current. Just a thought,good luck
Old 05-11-02, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are reported problems with Windows XP and GeForce 2 MX cards (also with GeForce 3 if I'm not mistaken).

I had a GeForce 2 MX 400 64MB PCI with TV out (which I got at a really good price) and also had Windows XP. It worked fine for about 3-4 weeks, but then my games would freeze up (I've tried it with Team Fort, Counter-Strike, NHL 2002, and a few others), and they would all freeze.

The card has a problem in that it goes into loop a few mins or even seconds into a game. I've read on other boards and even a website of how to get around this, cept I'm not an expert on messing around with my boards, and it seemed like a lot of work (i.e. unplugged the fan on the video card, buying an entire new fan for your computer, and some other twikin of the bios).

I just sold the card and I'm going to buy a ATI Radeon, which I've found has no problems with Windows XP (knock on wood). No more GeForce for me, because even the GeForce 4 is having problems.

I had the latest drivers for the card and even went back to the old drivers and still didn't work. Oh well

-Vik
Old 05-11-02, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the same OS and graphics card, and I just upgraded the drivers and it all works fine for me.
Old 05-11-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by vdadlani219
The card has a problem in that it goes into loop a few mins or even seconds into a game. -Vik
That's pretty much what the tech support folks at Innovision told me. They had me try turning off hardware acceleration.