Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows 2000 Professional Desktop Icons: Can I change them?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-10-02, 05:04 PM
Banned

Sorry, I really don't have a time to do a good search right now, but I need to know.

I created a new folder for the desktop and I want to customize the folder icon. I cannot find this option anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-02, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it is a shortcut folder then right click on the new folder icon on the desktop>click properties>change icon>browse (look for the Office 2000 folder, there should be quite a few icons you can pick from).
Old 05-10-02, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by grr1
If it is a shortcut folder then right click on the new folder icon on the desktop>click properties>change icon>browse (look for the Office 2000 folder, there should be quite a few icons you can pick from).
Actually, it's just a folder I created to hold certain files. It's not a shortcut to a program. If I right click on the folder and choose properties I only get the "general" and "sharing" tabs. No option for "change icon" anywhere.
Old 05-10-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, it's just a folder I created to hold certain files. It's not a shortcut to a program. If I right click on the folder and choose properties I only get the "general" and "sharing" tabs. No option for "change icon" anywhere.
Oh, no problem.
Just drag that new folder and drop it in My Documents Folder, then go to My Documents, and right click on that folder and click send to>desktop (create shortcut, then do the steps I said to do before.
Old 05-11-02, 02:59 PM
Banned

Oh, no problem.
Just drag that new folder and drop it in My Documents Folder, then go to My Documents, and right click on that folder and click send to>desktop (create shortcut, then do the steps I said to do before.
awesome, next question...

I have designed the icon I want to use. What do I need to save it as to choose it on the menu?
Old 05-11-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have designed the icon I want to use. What do I need to save it as to choose it on the menu?

Which menu? The startup one? Shortcut menu?
Did you mean that you designed the icons using some drawing program like Paint or something?
Old 05-11-02, 06:00 PM
Banned

Which menu? The startup one? Shortcut menu?
Did you mean that you designed the icons using some drawing program like Paint or something?
yeah, I designed it in photoshop and then I saved it as a .bmp file because I figured that would work.

when I choose "change icon" in the properties window, it give me a lot of generic ones to choose from, and then I can click on browse to look elsewhere. What specifically do I have to do to select my design?
Old 05-11-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, I designed it in photoshop and then I saved it as a .bmp file because I figured that would work.

Try this: click browse and on "file type" and click all files, not just icons, and select your design. Can't say that this will resize the image to fit as an icon.
Old 05-11-02, 06:38 PM
Banned

Try this: click browse and on "file type" and click all files, not just icons, and select your design. Can't say that this will resize the image to fit as an icon.
that was actually the first thing I tried. I selected the file I designed and not only did it not resize it right, it rejected the choice.

Do I just need to save it as a different kind of file? Do I have to have some kind of Icon Creating software?
Old 05-11-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that was actually the first thing I tried. I selected the file I designed and not only did it not resize it right, it rejected the choice.

Try to go to Photoship to adjust the size of the image to the size of an icon. It shouldn't have rejected the image, did you save it in 24 bit .bmp? If that doesn't work, then yes you will need some image converting to icon tool, I had this on my old PC, unfortunately, I do not remember the name of the program. Try a Google or CNET search for a program. Good luck!