Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How long has your server been up?

Old 05-10-02, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How long has your server been up?

Just bored and curious here, how long have your servers been running since the last reboot. I have a NT4 server on our voicemail system that's been up for roughly 6048 hours, or about 252 days straight. You?

Dave
Old 05-10-02, 10:06 AM
X
Administrator

That's pretty good. Usually I need to do something to a server that requires a reboot more frequently than that.

About 650 days (Novell server) is the longest I remember. Brought down to change batteries in the UPS.
Old 05-10-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My god man are you insane?

As part of regular scheduled maintenance, any server running a Microsoft OS is rebooted every 90 to 100 days

It is a ritual my techs perform, I think they even have a little dance that goes along with it "the MS reboot shuffle"

I am certain now that most servers are 2000 and not NT 4 they would run fine past that, but why change a process that can only help matters?

Novell on the other hand I would let go and only reboot when something done to the system required it. 500 some odd days is about the longest I remember.
Old 05-10-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Annually there is a power down testing so there's no chance of setting a record. Longest I've known of is probably 150 days. I had a few remote branches up for around 290 days. I usually have to run some update or changes to the servers more frequent than the 100+ days uptime.
Old 05-10-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think I'm insane, is there a questionare I can fill out to see? The main server in my office gets rebooted much more often, probably in the range you mention. The NT box is voicemail only, and is stripped of any uneccesary services, so it is pretty stable (obviously). The company is pretty leery of having voicemail offline at all, so we try not to reboot it. It would probably be ok to reboot at late at night when chances are nobody would be trying to reach us, but that would involve coming here on my time. Don't think that will be happening.

Dave
Originally posted by 4KRG
My god man are you insane?

As part of regular scheduled maintenance, any server running a Microsoft OS is rebooted every 90 to 100 days

It is a ritual my techs perform, I think they even have a little dance that goes along with it "the MS reboot shuffle"

I am certain now that most servers are 2000 and not NT 4 they would run fine past that, but why change a process that can only help matters?

Novell on the other hand I would let go and only reboot when something done to the system required it. 500 some odd days is about the longest I remember.
Old 05-10-02, 11:33 AM
X
Administrator

You rely on a Microsoft OS for voicemail?
Old 05-10-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, the company relies on MS for voicemail. Actually I don't recall that it has ever given us a problem. What should we be using?
Dave
Originally posted by X
Old 05-10-02, 11:59 AM
X
Administrator

I don't know, not my expertise. I just know the voicemail systems that I've seen generally use a proprietary OS and maybe hardware. A system so critical that the company doesn't ever want it rebooted just doesn't scream out Microsoft to me. Unless you have plenty of redundancy.
Originally posted by Dave99
What should we be using?
Old 05-10-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Redundancy?
I think the only redundancy is we could reroute our number to our main office, and have their voice mail system take them. This system is pretty easy really, it's a windows application, and uses a couple of I/O cards to handle A/D and D/A stuff from the pbx system.
Dave
Originally posted by X
I don't know, not my expertise. I just know the voicemail systems that I've seen generally use a proprietary OS and maybe hardware. A system so critical that the company doesn't ever want it rebooted just doesn't scream out Microsoft to me. Unless you have plenty of redundancy.
Old 05-10-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X

Originally posted by Dave99
Redundancy?

That settles it, he is insane
Old 05-10-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

just scanning down the 150 or so servers, it seems like 6 months or so is the average time since reboot.

we just replaced one of the file servers for this location a month ago.. and it had not been rebooted since before I started working here, over 3 1/2 years ago.... I believe it was just over 4 years.. but it was definitly ready to be replaced

oh yea.. nt4 box, only used as a file server, and of course some login scripts run off it

its sister box (a print server) had been running just about as long.. but we rebooted it, when we replaced the other one.. and plan to replace the print server soon.. but there never really was a need to reboot.. once every few months, if print jobs acted up, we just restarted the spooler, and all was fine
Old 05-10-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey the lack of redundancy isn't by my choice. The insanity part is entirely possible though, actually...more than likely.

Dave
Originally posted by 4KRG

That settles it, he is insane
Old 05-10-02, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the best I've ever done:

You can see my current uptime (which I think got reset without the computer shutting down) at any time at http://wildstorm.dns2go.com/