Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

POP3 Email Servers

Old 05-09-02, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

POP3 Email Servers

Long story about my mail at [email protected] and now @cox.net. I go thru periods about every 4 months where I just don't get much mail. It dribbles in. Normally I get 100-200 mails a day, and during these special times, I get maybe 10. This lasts for 3-4 days and then seems to clear up.

What is strange is that I will get the mails eventually, but sometimes it is 3-4 months later or longer. Since I rely upon the mail for business transactions, notifications of purchases, files for clients, requests for quotes, etc.... THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

The last 4-5 days, my mail is almost non-existent. I have had a number of people email me and tell me that they emailed me, and I have not gotten them. It seems I still can get mail from certain places though. But not others.

So I call Tech Support. First call ended with this exchange:

"Open Outlook Express"
"I don't use Outlook Express, but I might have it somehere. Isn't the problem not on my email browser, but on the POP3 server?"
"Yes, but I need to check your Outlook Express. Since you don't use it, I can't offer you support. Goodbye."

Second call:

"Are you making sure that people are not typing your address wrong?"
"DUDE... I am not even getting SPAM. It's not the 100+ people that normally email me that all of a sudden forgot my address!"
"It's working perfectly. There is no problem. Sometimes people are typing .COM instead .NET. Maybe that is your problem. Are you typing the address in all CAPS?"

ACKKKKKKKKK
/vent

Okay... the real question. I have a server. How hard is it to set up my own mail account there and quit using the flakey mail from cox? My server came with something called qmail.

/AAmos
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Randy, I setup one on a server at home, and it took about 20 minutes. It's pretty nice, regular pop3 access, web access for when you are away from your own computer etc.
http://www.ftgate.com

Let me know if you have any questions.
Dave
Old 05-09-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dave99
Randy, I setup one on a server at home, and it took about 20 minutes. It's pretty nice, regular pop3 access, web access for when you are away from your own computer etc.
http://www.ftgate.com

Let me know if you have any questions.
Dave

Randy odd coincidence, but I also do this Dave must be a fricken genious

If you are looking for basic POP service on an NT based machine, FTgate is very lightweight, stable, and scalable.

You just need to register a domain to point to this server, load hte software, minor configuration an dmake sure you have some hard drive space free.

**How about those people you rent web servers from?? They should be able to toss in some free, reliable POP mail accounts. Most do.
Old 05-09-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I work at a firm and we got a call last year from a client who wasn't able to send e-mail....we eventually found out that he was trying to send a gig attachment...and it wouldn't go through because he limited the attachment size when we set up the accounts so huge amounts of bandwidth wouldn't get eaten up

-pedagogue
Old 05-09-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

randy, you need to be able to change the MX record on the DNS server that handles the domain of your e-mail address.

If you own the domain, like chases.org, then it's no problem. If, however, the e-mail address has a domain like member.rr.com, then you're sort of screwed unless you can get the company that owns rr.com to cooperate with you.
Old 05-09-02, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

The mail is going now thru cox.net and I would assume I would just leave that alone and start using a new mail address. I do own the dedicated server that my domains are on.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 05-09-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RandyC
The mail is going now thru cox.net and I would assume I would just leave that alone and start using a new mail address. I do own the dedicated server that my domains are on.

Thanks for the replies!
In general, then what you'd need to do is change the MX (mail exchanger) entry in the DNS record for the domain you'll be using. You need that record to point to the IP address of the server you'll be using for mail.

Then, you need to install the mail server on the machine and configure it to accept mail for the domain(s) you'll be using. You'll also need to make sure that the firewall in front of that server is configured to open ports for SMTP (25) and POP3 (usually 110).

If the software you use also has smtp relay functionality, make sure it's password protected or disabled if you're not going to use it for sending mail yourself. The last thing you want is your server to be used by spammers to relay their messages.

Spammers routinely scan IP's looking for open relays. Leaving yours open isn't just poor internet citizenship, it'll also eventually get your server blacklisted by commercial spam filtering companies like Spamcop and by systems like RBL (MAPS RealTime Blackhole List). That means people who use these systems to filter their mail won't ever receive mail you send them from that server.
Old 05-10-02, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

send me a car-cam and i'll give you an account at crankyman.org once i get squirrelmail running later today.

cranky.