Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Just installed my new 120GB hard drive!

Old 05-09-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just installed my new 120GB hard drive!

The install went pretty smooth. Took about 30 minutes. The drive also came with a 3.5 disk which allows older pc's (like this one) to recognize the entire 120GB drive.

I have a couple of Q's:

First off, while I am thinking about it: A few months ago my dad uninstalled everything and reinstalled the programs. Since doing this a prompt for a password comes up before the pc loads the desktop. We have "default" typed in so we just hit "enter". Anyway to remove this so the pc just loads up?

About my new HD:

Is there anyway I can put passwords on some of my folders in my new drive? ...I am going to upload some photos to these folders and would not like anyone to be able to look at them (besides myself)

-- I have a few cd's with lots of photos. Is there anyway I can upload them from the cd to a folder in the new hard drive? I can save each one to the hard drive but it just takes so long.....

Any other suggestions on what I should do with the new hard drive?

[Request removed -X]

Thanks!!

Last edited by LX98Civic; 05-09-02 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-09-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you are a student, you may be able to purchase the student edition. Check out www.micromaster.com or www.journeyed.com as these are legal ways to obtain the program (as long as you're in the education field) rather than the somewhat dubious way of "downloading them from someone"
Old 05-09-02, 11:14 AM
X
Administrator

First, I removed your request for an illegal download from someone for copyrighted software. That allowed your thread to stay open. We don't do that here.

You did not state your OS, but if it is Win95 or Win98 (don't know about ME) you should go into your \Windows directory and delete all .pwl files. The next time you login it will ask a username and password. Give a name and a blank password and it won't ask again.

If you are using one of those OSs I don't know how you can password a directory.
Old 05-09-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry about that!!

I was going "[Request removed -X] >>

Thanks for the info on the password removal!!
Old 05-09-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Just installed my new 120GB hard drive!

Originally posted by LX98Civic

About my new HD:

Is there anyway I can put passwords on some of my folders in my new drive? ...I am going to upload some photos to these folders and would not like anyone to be able to look at them (besides myself)

-- I have a few cd's with lots of photos. Is there anyway I can upload them from the cd to a folder in the new hard drive? I can save each one to the hard drive but it just takes so long.....

Not many options for folder security under Windows 9X products, which it sounds like you are using. One possibility may be to use hidden folders. Of course to be successful in hiding, you have to make sure that the option to automatically show hidden files isn't on.

CD full of photos: Insert CD. Double-Click (DC) My Computer. DC the CD-ROM. Minimize the window. DC My Computer again. DC your new Hard Drive. Create a folder to place the images in. DC that new folder. Maximize the window containing the contents of your CD. Click on the View menu bar at the very top and change the view to list. Click on the first file. Hold down the shift key and scroll to where you can see the very last file. While maintaining your hold on the shift key, click the last file. All files should now be highlighted. Release hold on shift-key and right click any one of the highlighted files. Choose Copy. Switch back to the window of your new folder on your hard drive. Right-click and choose paste. That will copy the entire contents.
Old 05-10-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by X
First, I removed your request for an illegal download from someone for copyrighted software. That allowed your thread to stay open. We don't do that here.

You did not state your OS, but if it is Win95 or Win98 (don't know about ME) you should go into your \Windows directory and delete all .pwl files. The next time you login it will ask a username and password. Give a name and a blank password and it won't ask again.

If you are using one of those OSs I don't know how you can password a directory.
I went to "FIND" >> "Windows" = too many results for search
I put in >> "Windows.pwl" = No results

Any suggestions?

I'm on Win 98
Old 05-10-02, 10:45 AM
X
Administrator

Do a Find on:

*.pwl
Old 05-10-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

you're suppose to do search/find for *.pwl