Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

HP Question

Old 05-08-02, 08:46 PM

HP Question

Got a quick question about HP tower computers. I've got one (not sure which model # exactly) and I'm trying to toss so more RAM into it. I also wanted to put a better burner in it, cause the one it came with sucks. I've tried everything to get at where the RAM goes, but for some reason, the HP design people made it so that you can't get at the RAM without removing all the components from the case. Has anybody else had this problem? if so, then how did you get around this without having to remove everything? I've got the same problem with the burner, can't get at it without removing the processor.

Any help would be much appreciated..
Old 05-08-02, 08:58 PM
X
Administrator

I had the same problem with a high-end Kayak workstation. The engineering was amazing with all the ducting and covers and stuff. But a bitch to work on. And I remember worrying that if a fan quit, with the way the heat was channeled, the thing would have burned up the CPU really quickly.

I'd recommend following the instructions extremely closely. And if you have a digital camera you should take a picture each time you take out a part. The one I had took a couple of people a couple of hours to add a CPU to.
Old 05-08-02, 09:05 PM

the problem isn't so much the taking out of parts such as modems, ethernet cards, etc., but the problem is when the processor and cooling fan are blocking access to the hard drives and CD burner. Under the fixture that holds the hard drive, etc. is where the RAM goes. So I'm not sure if this is good engineering or bad, but it gets really frustrating when I try and upgrade my system (which i like to do every couple months). I'm thinking about mabye just junking my current system, and building my own from scratch, cause that way I can't complain about anything.
Old 05-08-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
companies like that don't want people doing stuff to the computer after they buy it, hence the reason it's hard to get at stuff
Old 05-09-02, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you probably need to slide out the drives. my girlfriend has an HP minitower that was a pain to get apart until i spent a while studying the way it works. if you have the documentation for the computer, that may help, or looking up the model number on the HP site may give you hints how to go about taking it apart.

another weird thing that i haven't dealt with on non-HP computers is that half of the back of the case is on a hinge, so the power supply swings out of the case when the case is opened. it's kind of a neat setup, but i should've just built a new computer from scratch a long time ago so i wouldn't have to deal with it anymore :>