Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone use free pc to phone software?(are any FREE for LD?)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-08-02, 03:17 PM

I am looking for one of those programs that lets you call long distance , in US, for free. Does such a thing exist? I know all the old ones used to let you call LD, but now it seems that most charge...
Also, does anyone know about the new Creative device, the VoIP Blaster? Voice-over Ip I guess is all I really want.
Thanks for any help/advice.

Marc
Old 05-08-02, 10:56 PM

Yes it exists, its called yahoo messenger, aol instant messenger, icq, etc.. etc..

Any of the online services for 'chatting' have upgraded to 'voice' and 'hands free voice' communication. All you need are speakers and a microphone. I like the little crappy creative labs mike that sits on the little stand that you can put next to the keyboard. A headset would work great for 'hands free' too. As you talk into the mic it activates the 'send' function and you just talk in real time like you would on the phone. Plus you can still type and use the mouse.

Its awesome because you can minimize the window and play some awesome games and berate your friends after you kick their ass in a nifty game like half life or age of empires or something.

Most of them also support live video with a crappy webcam so you can do live video conferencing long distance for free. It brings new meaning to the word 'cybersex' =).

Its a free download for any of the above services. I found yahoo messenger to be the easiest to use after trying all of them. I also like the easy file swapping/sharing support. With a DSL or cable modem it makes computing a blast.

-K
Old 05-08-02, 11:03 PM
Stealth Moderator

I think taktheride was looking for PC to Phone options (per thread title), not PC to PC. All the PC to Phone ones I've seen charge now.

Net2Phone gives you the first 2 minutes of outgoing calls for free, but they charge 2 cents per minute after the 2 minutes.

I used them before (back in 1999) and they had really good quality. But I don't know what the quality is now.