Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best Office Suite?

Old 05-07-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best Office Suite?

Hey all,
I had to format my HD and reload the OS (Win 98). Now I need to get a good productivity software. I would like to get the one that has the best value. I am in college so I can get some special deals.
The Suite I am thinking about getting is either Lotus Suite, Microsoft Office, or Corel Suite.
Can you guys tell me which is better?

grr1
Old 05-07-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm going to be giving Sun's Star Office a try when I format and re-load this weekend. it has full compatibility with MS Office.

I'll let you know how it goes
Old 05-07-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that sounds like a great deal, I saw it at Amazon for $36.
Do let me know how it works out.
Can it be reinstalled or it must be activated like Microsoft' Office XP student and teacher edition?
Thanks!
Old 05-07-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Microsoft is the ONLY way to go! Office 97 is pretty cool if you don't want to spend a lot of money.
Old 05-07-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Star Office is FREE. 100% FREE. don't buy it at amazon, download it from sun. in addition to costing 100% less than MS Office, it crashes infinitely less often :>

5.2 is pretty good, although i liked the beta of 6.0 a lot better but you can't download it anymore i don't think. the release of 6.0 should be pretty soon (i think).

you can also try Open Office, which i believe is an open source product based on star office. also free.
Old 05-07-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, so i want to add a caveat to the last post. Buy StarOffice from SUN! if you're going to pay for something rather than download it (legitimately) for free, at least give the money to sun so they can afford to keep putting out great products like this.

i started using staroffice last fall when MSoffice kept crashing, occasionally at first, then about once every half hour. i finally got so fed up, i reformatted my hard drive, then installed staroffice. i briefly installed word so i could make sure that staroffice's word docs looked ok... they do and i ended up uninstalling office again. good riddance. (and i used to be a huge office user. i used excel every day for about 5 years of my life...)
Old 05-07-02, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk God

of course you get what you pay for

but the industry standard is office.. and if people have problems with office crashing, they are doing something wrong
Old 05-07-02, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it is true that free software usually has its own limitations. I will try the Sun software and see if I like it. If it works for me I will get the latest version.
I do not want spend too much on software, I just need a decent word processing and spreadsheet program that has features like spelling and grammar check, and word count.
Old 05-07-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
if people have problems with office crashing, they are doing something wrong
yeah... using office :>
Old 05-07-02, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did try downloading the Sun Star Office 5.2 free download. I was wondering why there is only one way to get to a program and that is going to the sun star office icon, From there, I am taken to a new desktop like one over the real one to fianlly get to the program that I want. BUT the actual programs are pretty good, similar to MS Office without some features like the Office clipboard and Print Preview.
Old 05-08-02, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FILE -> PRINT PREVIEW

6.0 got rid of that silly start-bar looking thing that sits on top of your start bar. it was a neat idea, but i wish it was optional instead of always there.
Old 05-08-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, I noticed that there is the option of having an intergrated desktop by pressing Ctrl+shift+I.
It still has many MS Office's features, but for Word Processing, there is not even a wordcount.
I may stick with this until I am ready to get the cheap version of MS Office XP, since that's what I've always used and never had any problems. I just hope that after I activate it, I won't have any problems with my hard drive or OS.
Old 05-08-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by grr1
but for Word Processing, there is not even a wordcount.
FILE -> PROPERTIES

look in the "statistics" tab. there's a way to count the words in a selection also, but i'm not sure where off the top of my head.
Old 05-08-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ah ha! found the wordcount right where you said it would be!
Old 05-08-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i used star office... and it gets a thumbs down from me. if it wasn't free, i wouldn't have even considered it. the new version, you have to buy.

get MS Office...
Old 05-08-02, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do agree that MS Office is better.
I will get the Student and Teacher inexpensive version at the end of Summer. Hope that works out.
Old 05-08-02, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i downloaded openoffice today (i believe based on the next version of staroffice, 6.0). haven't played with it all that much, but it looks fine to me. (my tastes and needs are clearly not as fine tuned as some of the rest of you )

in advocating freeware/open-source alternatives to MSOffice i wasn't implying that there were problems with using MS... but i think most people who pay ridiculous sums of money for it have no need for the entire software package. in a corporation where you need complete uniformity and have large training needs, there's only one choice. but for individuals, moms, dads, kids, whoever, i don't think Office Professional is automatically the way to go.

Sorry if i've somehow offended someone or given people the wrong impression.
Old 05-08-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eeyore, nobody is against freeware. In fact, everyone I known has some great freewares like WinZip, ZoneAlarm, and Adobe Acrobat Reader.
But for other things, sometimes, we just have to pay money for software that we really need.
Old 05-08-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Eeyore
in advocating freeware/open-source alternatives to MSOffice i wasn't implying that there were problems with using MS... but i think most people who pay ridiculous sums of money for it have no need for the entire software package. in a corporation where you need complete uniformity and have large training needs, there's only one choice. but for individuals, moms, dads, kids, whoever, i don't think Office Professional is automatically the way to go.

Sorry if i've somehow offended someone or given people the wrong impression.
i re-read the thread and i didn't see any people who seemed "offended".

and despite my occasional MS bashing, i have to be a realist and use the software that is compatible. business and personal. i don't want to use office at the office (heheh) and something else at home.

i feel the same about AutoCAD. it's sucks in many ways, but it's the standard...

i used to use AmiPro (remember that? now called Lotus WordPro?) and i gave up on it b/c it had a live update feature (truly WYSIWYG) but it was annoying b/c the text was constantly adjusting on the screen. don't get me started on wordperfect! (which i had to use b/c my old office was stuck on the wordperfect format and none of the converters seemed to work correctly!).

as for a spreadsheet, imho, nothing compares to Excel. i even use Excel for some documents like resumes where i want text to line up exactly the way i want it to.

i mean, i agree that office is bloated! but it is still better than any other office package out there. (even though it is free, i still don't use staroffice...) best bet, imo, is to try to get an oem edition, a used copy, and academic edition if you're still a student or faculty, or a new computer w/ office included (fork over the extra if you only get a basic package). for example, drexel university gives office away to all their students and faculty (well, you could argue that it is included in your tuition). of the office suite, i mostly use word and excel.

wasn't there the idea that HTML would kill word? if you could save to an HTML format - all the documents, then you could use whatever program you wanted (the converters for proprietary word processors suck imo). if i had my own office, i would consider a different program. Word Pro maybe, but i wouldn't want to use lotus 123.

btw, eeyore, i'm just trying to discuss the subject which i haven't thought about in a while since i've been assimilated to MS office hivemind...

Last edited by young; 05-08-02 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-09-02, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think i got a little bit spooked. because i got some really weird anonymous emails last night. i wasn't responding to what anyone had said in this thread.

then i realized this morning that my email isn't public on the forum and i highly doubt the mods were harassing me--so i think i may have been getting odd spam or misdirected mail.

i still don't want to come off as some staroffice fanboy, but i'm not going to worry about someone so militantly pro-MSOffice that they'd send hate-mail. hopefully nobody is that demented :>