Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Creating a shared drive (win98)

Old 05-07-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Creating a shared drive (win98)

I'm having a problem remembering how to create a shared drive on my bosses computer for me and the secretary to have access to. I had to format/reinstall everything and start from scratch. As far as I can tell I have everything set up like it was (IP Address/Subnet, etc.) But when I right click My computer and select "map network drive" i get errors when I try to make one of the folders in c:\ a q: drive... i've only done this once over a year ago so I'm pretty clueless, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-07-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What OS is running on the computer you want to share drives FROM!? You need to make sure under the network protocols that FILE and PRINT sharing is turned setup. Then you'll need to right click on C or one of the folders on that PC and choose SHARING and share that folder.

THEN you'll be able to map to it on another PC on the network.
Old 05-08-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ben732, thanks for the help, all of the computers are Win98SE. I was able to get everything working again. One slight annoyance which isn't that significant is that I cannot get the shared folder to appear as a seperate drive on the computer the folder actually exists on. On the map network drive funtion I have tried every possiblity using the computer's name (Robin_ws), the shared folder's name, location, etc. and cannot get it to appear. Is there a way to do this?
Old 05-08-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I don't think it's possible to make a shared folder look like a drive on the computer tha folder is actually on