Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer makes an ungodly amount of noise

Old 05-07-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Computer makes an ungodly amount of noise

I've had my pc for about 2 years now. Maybe I just didn't notice it before or if something has happened within the past few months. It's VERY loud. I don't recall any computer I've used being this loud. Is this common? Is it the fan? I realize it could be any number of things but just wondering if others have had this problem.
Old 05-07-02, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most likely at least one of three fans (good possibility of all three):

The power supply fan
The CPU fan
The case fan

Hard drives are also a possible culprit.

Panaflo makes good quiet case fans. Snip a couple wires and you can use them as power supply fans also.

Seagates Barracuda IVs are the quietest hard drives around, but many drives are quit enough for most people.

I'm not up to date on what the quietest CPU fans are. Perhaps someone else can provide that info.
Old 05-07-02, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

juiio's got the prime suspects. what type of computer is it?

just a few months ago i had the same problem... i hadn't remembered the computer sounding so loud, but it was ridiculous. i swear the case fan had all the sudden gotten 2-3x as loud as it once was. i replaced it with a $5 temperature sensitive fan and the computer is much quieter. looking at the old fan, it looks like computer manufacturers (in this case HP, but i'm sure all do it) buy the absolute CHEAPEST they can. nobody goes into a store and buys a computer based on how loud it is, they just want the most "hertz"
Old 05-07-02, 08:15 AM
Banned

Old 05-07-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys. For the record, it's a Dell dimension 4100.
I know it's not the hard drive cause that makes a separate (but bearable) noise. It must be one of the fans. I find that the noise ranges too. Sometimes it's normal-ish; other times it sounds like a jet engine.
Old 05-07-02, 04:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

I ignored this (loud fan) noise for several months some time on my old PC.

When the clock started losing time I replaced the C-MOS battery.

The PC still had problems and a day or so later I bit the bullet after my researches indicated that the culprit seemed to be a failing motherboard.

I had a new m/b fitted and the shop said a new fan was also required at a small extra cost: the old one was hardly functioning.

One reason motherboards fail, I now gather, is because they get too hot.

I think my ignoring the fan's shortcomings may have contributed to the motherboard's later demise....

Last edited by benedict; 05-07-02 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-07-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

benedict
Thanks for the pointing that out. You have me worried now .
Again, I dont know if this is a recent thing or what but my room also gets VERY hot sometimes when the computer is on for a while.
Old 05-07-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i computer is very loud, and i actually like it that way...it drones out a lot of the little noises around me.
Old 05-07-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

mine was making a humming noise so i took the case off and with a little advice from here, i narrowed it down to the cpu fan. i picked up a replacement at compu usa for $15 and replaced it. it's all good now.
Old 05-08-02, 09:37 PM

Zalman make some good quiet CPU fans, but are fairly expensive though.

www.pccasegear.com.au/prod231.htm
Old 05-08-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sometimes I can't figure out why some PCs are louder than others. I have a PIII 450 MHZ and it is LOUD, but my friend has a P4 1.5 GHZ and it is much quieter.
Don't some newer processors claim that they're more powerful but quieter now? Like that new chip Intel just released for laptops?
Old 05-09-02, 12:04 AM
Banned

yup. probably a fan. Only way to really know is to open up the case, and stop each fan individually. If you stop a fan, and the computer gets quiet again, there's the problem.

Good news is that fans are one of the cheapest and easiest things to replace.
Old 05-09-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by matta
yup. probably a fan. Only way to really know is to open up the case, and stop each fan individually. If you stop a fan, and the computer gets quiet again, there's the problem.

Good news is that fans are one of the cheapest and easiest things to replace.
by the way do not ever do this with a cpu fan.

maybe it runs cool but why take a chance

I like a loud computer it makes me aware that the fans are working
Old 05-09-02, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by grr1
Sometimes I can't figure out why some PCs are louder than others. I have a PIII 450 MHZ and it is LOUD, but my friend has a P4 1.5 GHZ and it is much quieter.
Don't some newer processors claim that they're more powerful but quieter now? Like that new chip Intel just released for laptops?
Are yours PIII Katmai? I have a Katmai 450 MHz too, and it is loud. I'm thinking of soundproofing right now...
Old 05-09-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ask any overclocker and they'll tell you there's nothing wrong with a loud computer!

I have three separate fans in my computer (which I consider the minimum for proper cooling.. front intake, rear exhaust, and CPU fan), plus the power supply, plus four 7200 RPM hard drives. The CPU fan alone is rated at 49 dB.

This computer is on almost 24/7 in the room that I sleep in.. I've just gotten used to the sound. The only time it's turned off is when I watch a dialogue-driven movie in here.