Old 05-06-02, 10:56 AM

Two questions about new computer

My Computer
OS Win XP
Amd XP 1700
ASUS Motherboard
256 MB DDR Ram
Geforce 4 MX Video

My first problem is that for some reason when I start up my computer instead of it just going directly into windows like it used to now I have to select the user and put in the password. I have no password so I just hit okay and it will go into windows. It is not a big deal but I just liked it better when it would go directly into windows. Thanks for any help.

My second question is also a startup thing. When the computer is starting it goes through a detecting thing everytime I startup. It only takes about 10 seconds and then will continue on and say no ultra100 drives found so ultra100 bios not installed. Is there any way to stop it from doing the detection. Or is there a way to set it up so I do have ultra100 drives and it will stop it from going through this stem. Like I said before this is not a big deal but it would just be nice if I didn't have to go through these steps. Thanks again for any help.
Old 05-06-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For the login screen right click on My Computer - click Manage - expand Local Users and Groups - click on Users - right click on your user name and click set password - just clear out the password field (enter is considered a password) and click ok

That should work...if not try this go to Start - Run - in the run box type control userpasswords2 a dialogue box will pop up. Select disable.

For your other "problem" what is happening is the computer is looking for drives on an IDE channel that has no disks on it. To fix this you either need to (1) set a jumper on the motherboard to disable that IDE channel or (2) if the motherboard is set to "jumperless" then you need to go into the computer BIOS and disable that IDE channel.