Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Are some brands of RAM "better?" Why?

Old 05-06-02, 12:17 AM
Admin Emeritus

Are some brands of RAM "better?" Why?

The title pretty much says it all. I'm trying to decide between what looks to be generic RAM sold at CompUSA and Crucial RAM sold at Best Buy, which is selling for $5 more than the RAM at CompUSA. Some people say Crucial is good stuff... some say brands don't matter. In the end, the difference is only five bucks, but I guess I'm asking because I just want to know, not because I'm too tight not to plunk an extra five bucks down.

So what's the deal? Are there differences between brands of RAM? Where do these differences (if any) come from?
Old 05-06-02, 12:23 AM
X
Administrator

Some people love Crucial for its quality. I happen to hate their manufacturer, Micron, for their business practices. There is a top tier of RAM manufacturers and if it only costs a bit more to go with them it's a good idea to. I like Kingston (good business practices) and PNY is ok. Pay attention to the warranties. Top tier companies tend to give lifetime warranties.

I'm not sure if there are differences in the "overclocking" ability of any of these, but I am running some Kingston PC100 at PC133 without a problem. I hear of Crucial CAS 3 being able to be run at CAS 2 too. Lesser name manufacturers may be using chips that are barely able to run at their rated speed and thus cannot be overclocked.
Old 05-06-02, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like crucial ram. they tend to be conservative with cas ratings especially. My cas 2.5 DDR PC2100 runs at cas 2 overclocked. so I am happy with it.

you can get lucky with generic ram and I have seen people post how they are running cheap ram at fast speeds. however for every one of those i hear of people having problems with their generic ram running at its rated speeds.

I say spend the $5 - the lifetime warranty is worth that.
Old 05-06-02, 01:19 PM

I like Infineon. Lifetime warranty and from what I've heard, has great overclocking abilities.
Old 05-06-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have had to RMA both Kingston and Crucial in the past and they both provided excellent service.

I have run Kingston PC100 Value at 150+ speeds with no problems for a while.

I have run Crucial PC2100 DDR at 150FSB/CAS2 with no problems also.

Under normal use it runs fine, it's when I up the voltage that I fry the stuff

The lifetime warrany is definately worth it to me so I will spend a bit more to get it!
Old 05-06-02, 02:03 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

I second the Crucial RAM recommendations. We run Crucial RAM on all of the desktops here at work and we've never had a stick go bad on us. I have used Kingston at home as well and I've never had a problem with it.

I'd say spending an extra $5 for peace of mind is well worth it.

-BT
Old 05-06-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i love crucial...that's what i'm using now...i also heard munskin(sp?) was pretty good too. it's better because it's more reliable
Old 05-07-02, 01:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

Thanks for the input... went to BB and got myself a Crucial stick.