Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problems decoding Dolby Digital and DTS

Old 05-05-02, 06:58 PM

Problems decoding Dolby Digital and DTS

When my mini system is connected to the PlayStation 2 with an optical cable I have no problems decoding the DD and DTS tracks. But when the mini system is connected to my computer I get problems.

Sometimes when a movie starts, there's no sound, but if I pause and play a few times it the sound works. Also, if I skip a scene, the sound sometimes cuts out untill I pause and play a couple of times.

I've tried PowerDVD 3 and a Leadtek Software DVD player. The soundcard is a Gametheater XP and I'm running Windows 98. The mini system is a Sony with a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Old 05-06-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know that optical cables doesn't work really well with computers, because it happens to me too. Perhaps you want to look for a better player like Power DVD. Better software will minimize the problem, altough not entirely.
Or, better yet, get a coaxial cable instead, if your mini system have the connector.
Old 05-06-02, 05:06 PM

My mini system doesn't have a digital coaxial connection, so I'm stuck with the optical.

I'm currently using Power DVD v.3. Is there any free updates or patches I can download off the internet? I'll have a look myself, but if anyone knows of any let me know.
Old 05-07-02, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. Mine has no coaxial either. But my system will be back to normal whenever I restart my computer. I don't know if driver updates will helps, since I've been doing that, and it's no good. Perhaps you might want to try Power DVD 4.0. It's better somewhat, but my computer has some problems handling that version...

And you might want to try WIn DVD too. I have Power DVD 3.0 and WinDVD 2.0. When the sound cuts out in PowerDVD, I can stop and resume my screenings on WinDVD.