Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

are there wallpapers with motion?

Old 05-05-02, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

are there wallpapers with motion?

i have never seen a desktop where the wallpaper looks like its moving. i've always thought it would be cool to have an image that has real motion effects like rippling water or moving clouds. i know this would require additional system resources, but with many of us running 1+ghz systems with 500+mb of ram it seems like this should be possible. anyone know of something like this?
Old 05-05-02, 02:07 AM

I have "Set as Background' animated gifs. My brothers thought it was the coolest thing to have animated wallpaper. It is hit or miss with me, getting it to work all the time though. But yes, it can be done.
Old 05-06-02, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It is possible to make your desktop "move" by having it as the display window for the output of a player.
Old 05-06-02, 12:32 AM
X
Administrator

I've seen some. I'll have to find the link somewhere.

If I recall correctly, they were bragging about only using around 25% of the CPU's time. I didn't try them.
Old 05-06-02, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by Startide
It is possible to make your desktop "move" by having it as the display window for the output of a player.
Like a visualization for Winamp?

I have a friend who has a TV card that shows television as the desktop wallpaper.
Old 05-06-02, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by heimerSWT:
I have a friend who has a TV card that shows television as the desktop wallpaper.
You could try to duplicate the effect by using the SASAMI freeware player to have a movie play as your desktop. The other alternative is to send suggestions to your current DVD software player company to add this feature...if enough people ask, they might get.....

The SASAMI player supports transparent subtitles, so the subtitle text doesn't make an unsightly mess on your screen. An example screencapture of the older version of SASAMI playing replacing your desktop with a subtitled movie is shown below.

FOLLOWUP:
The betasite has the latest SASAMI beta April2002 version info along with new more powerful options and filters to use on the video. It looks like he has switched from Sasami to Chobits (anime fen would know what I mean...) *chii* *chii* I was hoping that Sasami would evolve into a Tsunami version though....

Last edited by Startide; 05-06-02 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-06-02, 07:26 PM

My friend uses this.
http://www.geisswerks.com/drempels/

snipped from the website:

WHAT IS DREMPELS?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drempels makes colorful, swirling, hallucinogenic patterns that resemble a hurricane or tornado. It normally runs in your Windows background or "desktop", replacing your old still-image wallpaper with gently-animating visuals... and meanwhile, you can use your computer just like you normally would. It uses very little CPU overhead - so little that it even runs smoothly on a 233 MHz system!

Drempels can also be used as a screensaver; in this mode, it goes fullscreen (like a normal screensaver) instead of rendering to the desktop/background.

Drempels works on Windows 9x, ME, NT, and 2000. It requires DirectX 5.0 or later and an MMX-capable processor.
Old 05-06-02, 07:35 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by ZakVTA
My friend uses this.
That's the one that I saw. Thanks!
Old 05-06-02, 08:06 PM

There's no reason that the SASAMI player couldn't be used to provide a moving desktop instead of playing back a movie from your DVD/CDROM drive. Hmmm, you could make an short video clip that is seamless and store it on your hard drive. You would loop it forever with the Sasami player and thus you have a simple moving image desktop. After awhile, the clip would run out of your memory instead of the hard drive, so it would not continually access your hard drive.
Old 05-07-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey Startide...what exactly is Proximotron? I saw the group but I didn't really see an explanation of what it is or does.
Old 05-07-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ZakVTA
My friend uses this.
whoa... that is very very cool! if they could make one where it was like a fish tank, or a field of blowing grass or flying thru clouds, i would pay for it!
Old 05-07-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Somebody put a moving background on my computer at work once...drove me nuts
Old 05-07-02, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by innocentfreak:
Hey Startide...what exactly is Proximotron? I saw the group but I didn't really see an explanation of what it is or does.
The use of a free Yahoo site has been a stopgap approach.

Proxomitron and its mirrors had been under both DOS (denial of service) attacks and ultra-frequent-downloading in order to drive up the costs of their websites. One guy that hosted a Proxomitron website mirror was hit with an additional $500 bandwidth bill after all the attacks for that month... So the Proxomitron website and its mirrors were taken offline. A temporary approach has been to host at Yahoo especially since Yahoo has the ability to go after the DOS people.

To download the PROXOMITRON tool, that webpage has a "FILES" option on the left side of the webpage....