Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

PC DVD-Recordable:

Old 05-04-02, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PC DVD-Recordable:

Those of you whom have read my proponentship of "stand-alone" DVD recorders will be in utter jubilation, if not a bit confused, about this new thread. I still prefer the "stand-alone," high-end recorders, but this news flash from DVDFILE.com is encouraging for those of you waiting for an affordable, fully compatible, PC based DVD recorder/drive.

You may have heard, the largest merger in computer history is about to be completed as Compaq will blend in with HP. After a lengthy and heated court battle, the merger has been deemed legal and will not cause an unfair monopoly. When it comes to PC manufacturers, HP has been leading the pack with their DVD+RW products - the dvd100i and dvd200i. This could be very good news for the future of computer-based DVD recording. No doubt, once the merger is done, both HP and Compaq machines will be available with DVD-RW drives. Not only will this be a strong step forward for DVD recordability, it will also help drive the prices of the DVD+RW drives and recordable discs down. While we're still a long way away from a standard format, this is another step in the right direction.
Old 05-04-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well, glad they're dropping in price, but Compaq and HP make sukekeke computers, IMO
Old 05-04-02, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
a standard format will be the best step, but I'll agree this is a step
I wouldn't own a compaq or hp computer, but hp make great printers and I've heard their cd burners are decent
Old 05-04-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mikehunt
and I've heard their cd burners are decent

hopefully their dvd burners are better then their cd burners
Old 05-04-02, 05:11 PM
X
Administrator

Compaq and HP servers are very nice machines. Their consumer models are not so great though.

Thanks for the info! At least something good may come of this merger. Although the huge number of laid off employees might not agree.
Old 05-04-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
it was a few years ago, haven't read a recent review
I personally have a plextor

Originally posted by twikoff

Old 05-04-02, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by twikoff

AFAIK HP doesn't make CD burners. The older models were made by Philips and then Sony. I have one of the older models, a 2X, and it is still working well. It supports overburn, RAW writing and 80min CDRs. After almost 1000 disc burns, I consider that it was (and still is) one of the best computer parts I bought. I still use it as it is my only CD writer and I don't plan to buy a new one (the next one will be a DVD writer when a standard will be established)
Old 05-04-02, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by .
well, glad they're dropping in price, but Compaq and HP make sukekeke computers, IMO
he he he

Isn't a branded computer sukekeke by definition (at least according to mine it is!)?

That why there are clones