Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Overclocking the P4 1.6a

Old 05-03-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Overclocking the P4 1.6a

I've been building a Pentium 4 system for my brother recently and wanted to see what all the fuss was about with overclocking the P4 1.6a. I was amazed at the results!

Purchased (all from newegg):
Pentium 4 1.6a (Northwood) CPU - $132 shipped (retail version)
Asus P4B266-C Motherboard - $77.25 shipped (refurbished)

Using a stick of 512MB of Kingston Value DDR Ram (PC2100).

First I set the FSB to 133Mhz for a speed of 2.128 Ghz. I did not increase the default CPU voltage which is set at 1.5V. I used the stock intel retail heatsink fan. The system booted up and I ran Prime95 on it for 6 hours without any crashes.

Then I got a little daring and set the FSB to 150Mhz for a speed of 2.4Ghz. Again I left the CPU voltage at 1.5V. The system booted and I ran Prime95 for 1 hour without any glitches. I didn't want to run it too long because I wasn't comfortable with overclocking the RAM.

Oh, and the CPU temps were: 40 degrees idle, 52 degrees full load. I suppose I could get them lower if I got a better HSF and used arctic silver, but I think the temps are still reasonable as they are.

From what I've read, you usually have to raise the CPU voltage in order to overclock this high on P4s, but I was able to get by with the default 1.5 V. The pack date on the CPU was 03/25/02, so this was from a recent batch.

Does anyone have similar luck overclocking a P4 northwood? I want to get some PC2700 RAM before I try pushing it any further.

By the way, when buying stuff from newegg, I've found some great deals on their refurbished goods -- many of which come with free shipping and are marked down 30%! The only downside is that they only have a 30 day warranty. They sell very fast (many sell within 1-2 hours of them being listed...I check their stock several times a day looking for good deals...I just bought a Seagate 40GB 7200rpm Barracuda IV drive from them yesterday for $55 shipped!).

Last edited by fantasia; 05-03-02 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-03-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is a common O/C with the 1.6A and the 1.8A

I think Twikoff was buying one a few months back to test it out also.

I thought about getting one, but I had an extra Athlon laying around so I built my new HTPC around that instead.
Old 05-03-02, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

also asus tends to slightly increase the voltage above what you think it is for default. this does help a bit in overclocks.

nice overclock.

I guess soon you will hit athlon 1900+ speeds if you keep going
Old 05-03-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
also asus tends to slightly increase the voltage above what you think it is for default. this does help a bit in overclocks.

nice overclock.

Actually my own computer is an Athlon 1700XP. I'm not too happy with AMD's thermal properties though (I don't want my system to sound like a jet-engine if I want to do any serious overclocking :-).
Old 05-03-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by jumbojp
That is a common O/C with the 1.6A and the 1.8A

I think Twikoff was buying one a few months back to test it out also.

I thought about getting one, but I had an extra Athlon laying around so I built my new HTPC around that instead.
still havent bought it.. i keep putting it off.. although it should be happening in the next month
Old 05-03-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by gcribbs

again, gonna have to point out the new northwood .13 micron processor is blowing amd away. but you already knew that, and were just joking.. so I wont bother mentioning it

amd will eventually get back with the program and release a solid .13 chip.. but until they do, they cant compete
Old 05-03-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by twikoff

again, gonna have to point out the new northwood .13 micron processor is blowing amd away. but you already knew that, and were just joking.. so I wont bother mentioning it

amd will eventually get back with the program and release a solid .13 chip.. but until they do, they cant compete
What benchmarks are you looking at?
Old 05-03-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff

I thought all ther benchmarks showed amd beating the P4 chips in some benchmarks with the P4 winning others. even the overclocked P4's are not blowing amd away.