Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Oww Digital Camera Q's. Canon G2/S40

Old 05-03-02, 02:03 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Oww Digital Camera Q's. Canon G2/S40

?

Well?

I just ordered a G2 and realized for almost half the price I can get a S40.

I'm just getting into taking pictures and such like that. The G2 is already on the way and the S40 I can pick up anytime. I know they are both the same in terms of 4 MP, 3x OP ZOOM, 3.6x DIG ZOOM... S40 is half the weight of the G2.

The G2 accepts interchangable lens, flashes, etc. It also has the flip out screen, manual focus... etc.

I want to be able to take really really really good pictures, but I'm I don't want know how good. I'm still a novice camera. My first camera was a FujiFine Pix 1300. Though the first camera (yes, first camera) I used was Nikon Coolpix 8xx. Older 3 MP camera.

Any suggetions would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-03-02, 03:00 AM
Stealth Moderator

I own the G2, and I love it. It's a more serious camera than the S40.

The G2 has a better lens. It's a brighter/faster lens at f/2.0-2.5. The S40's lens is f/2.8-4.9. At the widest angle, the G2 gathers in twice the amount of light (1 f-stop) as the S40. At the telephoto end, the G2 gathers in four times the amount of light (2 f-stops). If you need to know what this means, ask (or check out photo.net).

The flip-out screen is a great feature. You can take pictures of yourself (by flipping out and flipping over) easily. The flip-out protects the screen when not in use. Also, since you can tilt the screen, you can take pictures above people's heads or you can take pictures by looking down into the camera.

Another thing is the weight. You want more weight on the camera so that you can hold it steady. Lighter cameras are convenient, but that is not a good feature in a camera.

BTW, the S40 also has the manual focus feature. It is not just on the G2.

More later.
Old 05-03-02, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons40/

i would have gotten the S40 just b/c of the size. i hate carrying things around. i have a sony dscp1 (new model is p5 or p9 - even smaller )
Old 05-03-02, 11:20 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by young
[URL]i would have gotten the S40 just b/c of the size. i hate carrying things around. i have a sony dscp1 (new model is p5 or p9 - even smaller )
The S40 is more like a point and shoot camera.
The G2 is more like an SLR camera.
Both are capable of taking good pictures.

If convenience and portability is really important, then you should go with the S40. I just helped someone buy the S40 because she wanted portability. The S40 is a consumer camera. The G2, on the other hand, is considered a prosumer (something between a professional & consumer camera). It's bigger & heavier (in fact, they deliberately made it bigger & heavier because this is desirable), it has a noticeably better lens (perhaps not to a consumer, but definitely to a prosumer).

jrobinson, I keep pushing the G2 because you wrote, "I want to be able to take really really really good pictures." While the S40 will give you really good pictures, the G2 adds the two extra really's in front.
Old 05-04-02, 02:14 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

namja, I thank you for your words of wisdom... I think I'll keep the G2... or buy another one, because I didn't think about it when I purchased it...and dramatically overpaid for it.

Thanks again!