Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

gcribbs - wanna help me overclock my 1900+?

Old 05-02-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

gcribbs - wanna help me overclock my 1900+?

Ok, here's the deal. I read about overclocking everywhere. Supposedly pretty easy to do, and very harmless up to a certain point. But I don't want to do anything stupid. I guess I can raise voltages, frequency steps, and whatever else. But how do I do this? Is there a guide on the net that can help me? Or is it insanely simple?

Here's my set-up:

AMD Athlon XP 1900+
Soyo SY-KT333 Dragon Ultra Motherboard
Thermaltake Volcano 7 fan

Not sure if any other info is really necessary. If it is, I'd be happy to oblige. Thanks much!

Fast = good.
Old 05-02-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if that board is a jumper or jumperless board but here are the basics:

*keep an eye on temps*

FSB O/C:

An FSB overclock is nice because it speeds up the whole computer system.

Raise the FSB in the bios. This can be done without unlocking the CPU and you could probably get a decent overclock by doing that.

Once things start to freeze or the OS won't boot you have reached the limit and need to either back it down or up some voltages.

Multiplier O/C

This is a bit tricky if it's your first time since XP chips are a bit harder to bridge than the older T-Birds. The option to change multiplier setting will be either in the bios or on the mobo itself with jumpers. You need to unlock the CPU before you can do this.

To unlock the CPU, you need to connect L1 bridges of the CPU using various conductive materials. I used a pencil on my T-Bird, but the XP "pit" is larger so pencils won't work. Defogger paint from automotive shops, using a pinhead to connect the bridges is a popular method.

*Be careful if you cross the L1 bridges your CPU will short out and fry*

Once you have the CPU unlocked you can do a combination multiplier/FSb overclock and thats when it gets fun

Depending on the stepping of your CPU you may be able to get 300-400+ MHz out of it with good cooling and some higher voltages!

My overclocks right now:
1GHz T-Bird @ 1.43 (9.5x150) multiplier & FSB overclock
Athlon 1800+ 1.53GHz @ 2000+ 1.67GHz (11.5x145) FSB overclock only

I know this is rather vague and not really intended for me, but if you have more ?'s let us know

Last edited by jumbojp; 05-02-02 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-02-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

very sweet setup!

here's a pretty handy overclocking FAQ http://www.dslreports.com/faq/overclocking

the thing is with the XP processors that they are "locked". Which means you can raise the fsb but not the multiplier. So you can o/c some but not as much as if you "unlock" you cpu (which to me sounds scary!). I do know that 99% of overclocking is done from your bios. But before you start upping your fsb in the bios make sure you have a good temp monitoring program (motherboard monitor is what I use) and then use some type of burn in program (toast is good) to push your new settings to test for problems. Running that toast test for five or six minutes is a really good preliminary test run for stability.

It's also important to have a good power supply. What brand do you have and how many watts?
Old 05-02-02, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jumbojp
*keep an eye on temps*
that's the key and the most important thing to remember!
Old 05-02-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shuki

that's the key and the most important thing to remember!
Thats why I put it first
Old 05-02-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: gcribbs - wanna help me overclock my 1900+?

Originally posted by Blake
Ok, here's the deal. I read about overclocking everywhere. Supposedly pretty easy to do, and very harmless up to a certain point. But I don't want to do anything stupid. I guess I can raise voltages, frequency steps, and whatever else. But how do I do this? Is there a guide on the net that can help me? Or is it insanely simple?

Here's my set-up:

AMD Athlon XP 1900+
Soyo SY-KT333 Dragon Ultra Motherboard
Thermaltake Volcano 7 fan

Not sure if any other info is really necessary. If it is, I'd be happy to oblige. Thanks much!

Fast = good.
first I would not adjust the voltage unless you need to do it or want to go real crazy speeds.

First you have a 12x multiplier to work with. Unless you are going to get real aggressive and try and unlock the processor you are stuck with this multiplier.

so 12x 133- 1.6 Ghz roughly or 1900+

to get to 2000+ or 1.67 Ghz you need to move the FSB to 139. Hopefully your memory can do this. since you are pushing the memory specs a bit. also the pci bus and agp will be overclocked from 33 Mhz to 35 Mhz with the 1/4 divider. you should be ok with this for most parts. watch the hard drive since pushing your bus speeds can cause data corruption if you push it too far.

For the 2100+ or 1.736 Ghz you need to move the FSB to 145. and the buses go up to 36. this might give you some problems. also the memory probably will not make it. It again depends on the chips.

personally.

I would go to 135 FSB at first and benchmark the system with 3dmark and pcmark and other benchmarking programs while running motherboard monitor to keep track of the temps. then if you are stable move the FSB to 139. you can also run some programs that will really stress the cpu. I have never bothered to run these programs 24/7 as a means to test my overclocks since I tend to go for 10% increases and I do not raise the voltage ever. This limits my overclocks and also limits my risk. My athlon 1.2 Ghz would go up to 1.38 Ghz at default voltage. I am sure it would have gone higher with a better HS/Fan and more voltage(I was using the retail HS/Fan as well as default voltage)

If this does not make sense let me know. I do tend to babble when i am tired

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/

http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.cfm?catid=28

What are your current temps? cpu and case both.

Last edited by gcribbs; 05-02-02 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-02-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just realized that you ha a 12X multiplier(cause gcribbs mentioned it )

I have read alot about the XP basically maxing out at about 12 or 12.5X multiplier so I don't think you should risk or bother with an unlock!

I agree go up 5MHZ on the FSB and see how it goes, if it is stable try 5 more and so on till it becomes unstable and the find the middle ground.

Hopefully this will leave you someplace about 150-155 FSB maybe even a bit more, if your memory and PCI cards can handle it

A 150FSB will get you up to about 1.8GHz wich theoretically would be XP2300+ range and that would be nice!

Good Luck, let us know how it goes

www.overclockers.com
Old 05-02-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: gcribbs - wanna help me overclock my 1900+?

Originally posted by gcribbs

to get to 2000+ or 1.67 Ghz you need to move the FSB to 139. Hopefully your memory can do this.
The memory is Samsung DDR PC2700 (333 MHz) - not sure if that's the memory you're referring to, but it's all I can think of.

As for my CPU/case temp, I'm not too sure. I'm running SpeedFan right now which reports the temps at:

Temp01: 40
Temp02: 44
Temp03: 36

Is there a better utility that can monitor these things?
Old 05-02-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: gcribbs - wanna help me overclock my 1900+?

The memory is Samsung DDR PC2700 (333 MHz) - not sure if that's the memory you're referring to, but it's all I can think of.

As for my CPU/case temp, I'm not too sure. I'm running SpeedFan right now which reports the temps at:

Temp01: 40
Temp02: 44
Temp03: 36

Is there a better utility that can monitor these things?
The samsung memory should have no problems getting to the higher FSB's I think it is rated up to 166 FSB so you should be just fine. Not sure which is the case temp although I guess the higher one is the cpu temp.

Try 135 then if it boots into windows. if it does post the new temps after running some benchmarking programs. let me know what you get

I bet that you can get to 139 easy. with that ram I would not be surprised to see you get to 145 also. Faster will need more voltage more than likely.
Old 05-02-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Believe it or not

My 1.53GHz 1800+ is running at 1.68GHz (11.5x145FSB)right now on..........

1 256MB stick of Kingston Value Ram PC100 I bought for $23 shipped, with no voltage mods!

I have actually had this RAM stable up to 153MHZ on my ASUS A7A266 board with the T-Bird!

Crazy numbers for PC100 memory, but I'm not complaining
Old 05-02-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jumbojp
Believe it or not

My 1.53GHz 1800+ is running at 1.68GHz (11.5x145FSB)right now on..........

1 256MB stick of Kingston Value Ram PC100 I bought for $23 shipped, with no voltage mods!

I have actually had this RAM stable up to 153MHZ on my ASUS A7A266 board with the T-Bird!

Crazy numbers for PC100 memory, but I'm not complaining
Sadly my 1800+ will not boot at 145 FSB with my crucial ram. It gets up to loading windows and protection faults and no go. More voltage might help in my case however with my temps of 25C case and 50C cpu at idle and 56C cpu during 100% load I am not willing to push it. I suspect that maybe with an unlocked cpu I might be able to get up to 2000+ speeds.

For right now I am going to run it at 1900+ speeds and maybe play with it more in a few weeks after I get back from E3.
Old 05-03-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, I moved the "Frequency 1MHz Stepping" up from 133 to 139. When I booted the computer, it said that I was running an AMD Athlon XP 2000. So apparently it worked. I'm stable in Windows - so does that mean it worked? Should I be worried about overheating?

I also have these options that I left unmodified:

CPU Ratio Select : Auto
(options range from 6.0 to 14.0 - I would assume this is the multiplier - which I can't even change as it is)

DRAM Clock : By SPD
(other options were 133 and 166)

I also figured out what the Temperatures were (thanks to SiSoft Sandra):

Board Temp: 35.0 C
CPU Temp: 44.0 C
Power / Aux Temp: 24.0 C

Old 05-03-02, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep you done good!

Welcome to overclocking

The temps are decent, I try not to go over 50C, but I have run stable at around 60C before so you should be fine.

Keep the CPU ratio on Auto, that is the multiplier and you can't adjust it anyway.

If you want ot go a bit higher try it, but try to keep the temp below 50C if you can.

Also run this program for about 5 minutes to see how high the temp goes:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/attach...&postid=608806
Old 05-03-02, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW, if you run that program keep a close eye on temps cause they will probably go up 6-10C in that 5 minutes!
Old 05-03-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Before Toast:

35/44/33

After 5 Minutes of Toast:

35/46/46

5 Minutes After Toast:

35/44/34

Looks like I'm good to go higher
Old 05-03-02, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Before Toast:

35/44/33

After 5 Minutes of Toast:

35/46/46

5 Minutes After Toast:

35/44/34

Looks like I'm good to go higher
try it at 145 FSB

then watch those temps

also if it fails to post go into the bios after rebooting and set the FSB back down to 139. if it locks up you might even need to pull the cord out. if it totally freezes.
Old 05-04-02, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well I was bored after putting a computer together for my younger brother so I tried to post again at 145 FSB. I cooled my house down thanks to air conditioning and changed the fans a bit and almost booted into windows. it was so close I could taste it

sadly I think more voltage is needed and cooling might not be the issue. I slowed the ram timings down so i know that should not have prevented it.

not sure if i want to go the increased voltage route- yet.

i hope you are more lucky Blake
Old 05-04-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holy shiznut! I was thinking of overclocking, read this thread, and went to check my temps...

62 CPU
50 case
!!

AH!

Admittedly it's not in the coolest room or best ventilated place it could be, but that was much more than I was expecting! AH! Time to add more fans!

(cartman goes and sobs due to computer troubles)
Old 05-04-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cartman
62 CPU
50 case
Yeah, if those are celsius, you most definitely need to do something about that.