Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

help me place my newegg order

Old 05-02-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

help me place my newegg order

OK, I'm here in the States and want to pick up some things on my shopping list and I hope you guys can help. I have a 1.33 t-bird at home that I can't seem to keep cool. I've tried thermaltake and an OCZ goliath and am still in the mid to upper 40's open case. Should I order that Millenium Glaciator 2 and give it a try or maybe go all out for the alpha pal or a swiftech? I'm also wanting to take back a new Power Supply. Which one should I get (that will last me for the next several years or so upgrading)? And while I'm at it, would it be worth it to upgrade the cpu for gaming performance or is going from 1.33 up to 1.57 not be worth the $100 price tag? Now to streamline things:

1. Which cpu fan should I try next?
2. What Power supply do I want to get?
3. Is it worth it (for gaming purposes) to upgrade from a 1.33 tbird to a 1.57 XP1800 for $100? Would I see a noticable difference? I have 512MB pc133 and a radeon 8500 video card.
4. should I move up from pc133 to pc2100?

edit: of course if I can get my cpu temps under control and have a decent PS, I could probably run my 1.33 at 1.5 pretty comfortably huh? But then again, that probably means I could get a 1.57 up to a 1.7. hmmm, decisions, decisions... what would you all do?

Thanks, thanks and thanks again for the tips and advice
Old 05-02-02, 08:30 PM
Stealth Moderator

Re: help me place my newegg order

Originally posted by Shuki
3. Is it worth it (for gaming purposes) to upgrade from a 1.33 tbird to a 1.57 XP1800 for $100? Would I see a noticable difference? I have 512MB pc133 and a radeon 8500 video card.
4. should I move up from pc133 to pc2100?
3. 1.33 to 1.57 upgrade is not worth $100. You won't notice a difference in most applications. The only apps you might notice differences in are apps like video processing, apps that use nearly 100% of CPU power.
4. If you have the money to spend, then yes (assuming you're using 2000 or XP). This is a cheap upgrade if you can buy the pc2100 and sell the pc133.
Old 05-02-02, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First off do you use Arctic Silver paste? Ifr not try that first, it may lowe the temp a few degrees!

1. Try either of the Thermalright heatsimks, SK-6 or AX-7. I have them both and they cool very well and you can choose which fans to use with them.

2. I would suggest an Enermax 430 watt PS. Lots of power in reserve for any upgrades you make in the next few years.

3. I would stick with the 1.33 T-Bird for now. The new t-Breds are coming out and the XP prices will be going down alot. Besides making the jump won't make much of a difference.

4. DDR is a bit faster than PC133, but it is a bit expense right now so I don't think the cost of switching is worth it.

As far as overclocking:

There are lots of factor involved in overclocking. You can raise the FSB a bit without raising VCore, but if you want 150+ FSB you need to start adding voltage to the CPU and memory which causing heat.

You can also overclock using the muliplier, but to do that you need to connect the L1 bridges on your CPU which can be a bit tricky. If your lucky your CPU is factory unlocked.

Once they are connected though you can raise the multiplier and the FSB and get some serious overclocking going

Once you get the cooling problem solved, try raising your fsb a bit. That will speed up everything in your system including the CPU and PCI bus.

I have my 1Ghz Athlon running at 1.43 GHz right now with no problem. I can go as high as 1.5, but the temp get a bit high and I need a little more cooling.
Old 05-02-02, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

can anyone confirm that Asus mobo's report a few degrees higher than actual temperature? I have heard this more than once. If that is true I will feel a little better. If not, I must just have a hot chip cause I have tried everything to get this baby cooled down

(thanks for the post jumbo! and yep, I am using arctic silver paste )
Old 05-02-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you using PC Probe?

On my Asus A7A266 it reports temps about 6-8 above normal for me.
Old 05-02-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PS, Also take a look over here:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/forumd...?s=&forumid=44
Old 05-02-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jumbojp
Are you using PC Probe?

On my Asus A7A266 it reports temps about 6-8 above normal for me.
I am using mbm 5 and the temps check out the same in the bios too