Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need new computer for video editing. HELP!!!

Old 05-02-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Need new computer for video editing. HELP!!!

Any suggestions. I need one with a DVD-R and good video editing. I also need a good digital camcorder to go with it. Looking at around $2,000 for the pair. Is that not enough? Maybe $3,000.
Old 05-02-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For $3000 you can get a new G4 iMac with a DVD-R and a decent Canon DV camcorder. All editing and burning software included.
Old 05-02-02, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Jason
For $3000 you can get a new G4 iMac with a DVD-R and a decent Canon DV camcorder. All editing and burning software included.
I am resistant to go with an iMac. Is there a reason I shouldn't be resistant?
Old 05-02-02, 07:09 PM

There is absolutely no reason at all to be hesitant on getting a Mac. It can do anything a PC can (even better in my opinion). If you have lots of PC applications just buy a copy of Virtual PC and they can be ran on the Mac. The only thing I have against the iMac is limited expandability. This is why I broke down and bought the Dual 1 GHz G4 - 80 gig drive - 1 Gig RAM

If you want to get into video/photo editing the Mac is the way to go. Or, you could go get a bargan PCshit that does a 1/4 of the job for 1/2 the price.

Just my opinion.

/ modiman.

Last edited by modiman; 05-02-02 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-02-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get a Dual Ahtlon MP system. Have some smoking video decoding times.
Old 05-03-02, 08:57 AM
griffin_hr

Um, what kind of video are you planning on taking ? Is this just a hobby, or are you going to try to make some money with this ?

The reason I ask is because if you want quality video, you are going to want to get a camcorder that uses the "3 CCD" setup. This is more of a "prosumer" type camera like the Sony TRV900, or the Canon GL1. These cameras are both really good for the money. I think you can get a TRV900 or GL1 for around $1,300 or so.

Assuming you went this route, you would still have enough money to build a nice P4 1.6a computer. (really nice overclocking if you wanted )

Just remember whatever way you decide to go. DISK SPACE IS YOUR FRIEND ! You can not have too much disk space. Fifteen minutes of digital video takes about 4GB of disk space. And make sure they are nice and fast drives, 7200rpm with good seek times. I have not had trouble with my IBM drives, but alot of people have. Maybe look into the Seagate Barracuda drives.

good luck, and happy editing

griffin_hr

Old 05-03-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by griffin_hr
Um, what kind of video are you planning on taking ? Is this just a hobby, or are you going to try to make some money with this ?
This will mainly be for taking home video type stuff, and burning it to dvds. I want it simple enough that I can do it, and good enough that I enjoy watching it, but it is just personal use.
Old 05-03-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you have that kind of money, go with the Mac.

I'm a professional video editor, and am not a big Mac fan generally, but they have the market cornered pretty much on easy to use, powerful, and fully functional programs.

Because of Mac's limited outsourcing, all of their programs work really well together, which is the biggest problem with video editing systems.

Integration is the key and Mac has that in spades.