Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need help removing a heatsink.

Old 05-02-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Need help removing a heatsink.

My CPU has a heatsink on it that I can't remove. I think it needs to be done with a screwdriver (all the other ones I've used have been the lever type) but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. The clamp holds on to all 3 clips on the socket, and there is a raised metal bit that I can push down on, but I need to push it left and off the clips at the same time. There seems to be a small section where I can wedge the head of a flat head screwdriver in, but when I use the screwdriver as a lever it ends up hitting the heatsink/fan. I don't want to apply too much force to this thing, but I want to get it off.

Any ideas on the best way to do it?
Old 05-02-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd be happy to help. Any chance you can snap a digital picture of it?
Old 05-03-02, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, my bro-in-law just got a digital camera yesterday, but he'll have to get a new multi-power board for his computer. I may be able to work something out soon though. Thing is I have no place to upload the pic. How's about I email it to you?
Old 05-03-02, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

or if you can tell us what type of CPU it is, we can probably find a picture of the particular type of socket. (for instance, i know AMD has diagrams somewhere on their site on installing heatsinks/removing them... might be helpful)
Old 05-03-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's an AMD Athlon XP. We ordered a 1800+ and I know it's supposed to run at around 1500Mhz, but the boot screen and WinXP says it's running at about 1100Mhz.
If I could take the heatsink off easily I'd look myself to see how fast it is, but if it's too hard I might just let the techs from where we got it handle it.
I've taken off heatsinks a thousand times before, just not these stupid ones.
Old 05-03-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoa, before you take off the heatsink, have you made sure you are running the CPU at 266 and not 200? double-check the BIOS because most times when you install an XP you need to change the speed in the motherboard's BIOS.

EDIT: also look at the motherboard's instructions--maybe you need to change a jumper on some boards? i doubt that's it, but it's possible. you can look up the board online to see how to do it if you can't find it in the manual. (I'd guess someone else out there is having the same problem).

Last edited by Eeyore; 05-03-02 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-03-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bofore you go throught the trouble, make sure it is running at 133 in the bios and not at 100.
Old 05-03-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn Eeyore beat me!

Thats what I get for watching a Britney Spears MPEG instead of typing

The 200/266 is the same thing as 100/133, just doubled. In the bios the settings will most likely be 100/133 though.
Old 05-03-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll look for that setting. Can't remember if I saw it there before or not. I know it doesn't have any overclocking options, it's just some sh*tty generic board.
I'll give it a whirl and let you know how it goes.
Old 05-03-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that's almost definitely the problem. taking off the heatsink to look at the chip is only inviting further problems. jumbojp's right--you'll want to make sure it is running at 133. (and as an aside to jumbojp: in the highly competitive world of the computer forum, there's no time for britney spears mpegs... what were you thinking? get your priorities straight!)

if you can tell us what the motherboard is, that might help. i think it could also depend on the memory you're using. (ie- if it's PC100 SDRAM, you probably can't run the chip above 100)