Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Bought a Used Computer with Win ME installed, want to install Windows 98. Best way?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Bought a Used Computer with Win ME installed, want to install Windows 98. Best way?

Old 05-02-02, 06:04 AM

Bought a Used Comptuer with Win ME installed, want to install Windows 98. Best way?

What is the best way to do this? I'd like to start out with a clean slate so to speak. As if it were a new computer. How should I go about this? Thanks.
Old 05-02-02, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You'll need to delete the existing partition(s). Create a new partition or partitions. Then reformat the drive.

I think Win98 supports formatting the drive, but not deleting/creating partitions.

You'll need a separate utility like f-disk.
Old 05-02-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Have a friend with Windows 98 make you a Windows 98 Startup Disk. Boot off this disk and FORMAT C: /s This will format the C drive and make it bootable. You should then be able to put the Win98 CD in and change to the CDRom's drive letter and run SETUP.EXE. Then install 98. (You'll need a Windows 98 SE or 98 Full Version CD as the upgrade version won't install without a previous version OS.)

You really shouldn't need to FDISK the drive unless you're familiar with using the utility. Formatting with the above command should do what you need it to.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-02, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

actually, if you can change the boot sequence in the BIOS, i believe the win98 cd is bootable, so you may not even need the floppy boot disk?
Old 05-02-02, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Eeyore
actually, if you can change the boot sequence in the BIOS, i believe the win98 cd is bootable, so you may not even need the floppy boot disk?
Yeah but Win98 Setup doesn't offer the ability to format a drive during setup. And I believe 98 would give an error installing over a newer OS not to mention that a Full version or 98SE CD won't install over an existing OS.

You'd need to remove the existing OS (easiest way is to format the drive.)
Old 05-02-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

98 will allow him to format a drive, but only if it's a new/blank partition.

98 lacks the ability to delete and create partitions.

I certainly didn't mean to imply the he -had- to use f-disk.
Old 05-02-02, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by Nefarious

I certainly didn't mean to imply the he -had- to use f-disk.
I know and using Fdisk is the cleanest way to remove everything from the drive, etc... However it's not the easiest utility for someone to use if they're not familiar with the types of partitions (Primary, Extended, Non-Dos, etc...) Formatting is the easiest way to remove the OS and have the drive ready for a new install.
Old 05-02-02, 11:11 AM

Yick - why would you want to take a step back to Win98?

RD
Old 05-02-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My assumption was that he had a copy of 98 and not of ME (other than the currently installed copy). Given that he wanted to wipe it clean and install an O/S fresh, his only option was to then install 98.
Old 05-02-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DivxGuy
Yick - why would you want to take a step back to Win98?

RD

Because ME is the worst operating system ever released....
Old 05-02-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by PunkYou

i second that...i'd rather have 98 (or for that matter, 95) instead of ME. Of course, I think XP rocks.

well, here's what i'd do.

1. create a win 98 bootup floppy disk (start, setup, control panel, add/remove software, add/remove windows component tab)*

2. restart, using the bootup floppy disk, with CD support

3. format c: **

4. copy over D:\win98 (D: being your cd drive) to C:\win98(or any directory you want)

5. go to c:\win98, and type setup

6. follow the simple directions provided by Micro$oft

*i'm not certain how to do this, as i'm running XP, but the windows help should guide you.

**this assumes that you only have one drive and one partition. otherwise, use the same method to format the other drives.
Old 05-02-02, 03:03 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by .
i second that...i'd rather have 98 (or for that matter, 95) instead of ME. Of course, I think XP rocks.
Well, yeah, I'd rather have 98 or even 95 over ME. And XP ... well XP still has hardware compatibility issues. There still are missing drivers or bad drivers. For example, ATI-TV Wonder card and some USB 2.0 PCI cards don't work well with XP. Plus some software titles are 2000 compatible but not XP compatible. What's up with that?

Overall, I'm happy with my XP because of the friendlier user interface. If I had 2000 on my computer, I wouldn't bother "upgrading" to XP though.
Old 05-02-02, 03:04 PM
Stealth Moderator

back on topic

Fdisk, format, clean install. That's definitely the way to go.
Old 05-02-02, 04:40 PM

Me is basically Win98 Third Edition, and in my experience, it works very well (bearing in mind the limitations of all Win9X operating systems).

I had Win98SE (and still have a factory install disc), replaced it with WinMe, and never had any regrets.

RD
Old 05-02-02, 06:24 PM

Well, I may keep Win ME installed; but I was under the impression that Windows ME doesn't run all of the games/applications that Windows 98 runs. Any info about this?
Old 05-02-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by namja

Well, yeah, I'd rather have 98 or even 95 over ME. And XP ... well XP still has hardware compatibility issues. There still are missing drivers or bad drivers. For example, ATI-TV Wonder card and some USB 2.0 PCI cards don't work well with XP. Plus some software titles are 2000 compatible but not XP compatible. What's up with that?

Overall, I'm happy with my XP because of the friendlier user interface. If I had 2000 on my computer, I wouldn't bother "upgrading" to XP though.
i agree...my ati tv card is just sitting in the box

oh well, probably for the better anyways...i spend enough time in front of my comptuer as it is. can you name some software that works in 2k, but not in XP? I haven't had any problems. For me, at least, XP is more stable. 2k is stable too, but not as stable, for me.

And, ME drains memory like crazy. And, it's not as stable for me. I ran it for a few weeks back when it first came out, and it was even less stable than my old 95 system.
Old 05-02-02, 06:48 PM

And, ME drains memory like crazy. And, it's not as stable for me. I ran it for a few weeks back when it first came out, and it was even less stable than my old 95 system.
Interesting - I use it on a home theater PC, and I haven't had a problem. My brother uses it daily on an old K6-3 with 128mb of RAM, and it works fine there, too.

As for eliminating Me and replacing it with Win98, you could try erasing the Windows directory or renaming it, erasing the hidden files in the root directory of the C drive that the Windows system uses, and then installing Win98.

RD

Last edited by DivxGuy; 05-02-02 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-02-02, 08:25 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by .
oh well, probably for the better anyways...i spend enough time in front of my comptuer as it is. can you name some software that works in 2k, but not in XP? I haven't had any problems. For me, at least, XP is more stable. 2k is stable too, but not as stable, for me.
For example, our school school uses a software called FirstClass (version 6). It's quite unstable under XP. It often freezes, some of the screens do not show up (font problems in XP), and it refuses to save passwords. It works perfectly under Win2k.

Also, older versions of Norton AntiVirus (2001 and before) are not XP compatible. And Plextor Manager 2000 (software that comes with Plextor burners) isn't XP compatible.

These are just three of the software that I use that are fully 2000 compatible but not XP compatible. Sure, there is an upgrade availabe for NAV, and alternatives available for the Plextor Manager, and a downgrade available for FC, but I had to find them and download them. Not that big of a deal which is why I indicated that I'm happy with XP.
Old 05-03-02, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Windows ME is the biggest joke of an operating system...I don't blame you!
Old 05-05-02, 01:08 AM

We brought an old PII-300 CPU/mobo back to life last night. We bought a new case for it, updated the BIOS from the manufacturer's Web site, added and partitioned a new 40gb HD, and XCOPYed all the files from the 2 partitions of an existing WinMe installation from an old P200.

After the XCOPY, the PII booted up right away from its new HD, and the only glitch was that the SB Live 5.1 drivers had to be reinstalled. It worked well enough with WinMe that the owner decided against upgrading to Win2K.

I don't remember Win98 being that easy to transfer over to a new HD.

RD