Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Networking Printer Questions

Old 05-01-02, 04:26 PM
Banned

Networking Printer Questions

Hey,

I live in a small apartment complex with ethernet, and my neighbors and I wanted to setup a network printer/copier/scanner for everyone to use. The problem is that we need to set it up without having it plug into a computer. I know they make some expensive printers that are "network ready", but is there any other option? Can we just get one of those routers that convert USB to ethernet?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions on All-in-one-printers with network interfaces for around $500? Thanks.
Old 05-01-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

some routers have print servers built in, can't remember which brand it is that frequently does, but i'd guess you can get one for under $100, no problem. is this a USB printer? and are you just stringing ethernet cable all around the apartment complex, or how is this going to work?
Old 05-01-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://shop1.outpost.com/category/Ou...Print+Servers/

Dave
Old 05-01-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

nice find dave... i may have to start looking for a good deal on one of those myself. :>
Old 05-01-02, 07:22 PM
Banned

Sweet, Thanks!

The ethernet network runs from our college all over our apartment and was setup by them. It's existing in the walls and we're not doing it ourselves. We haven't picked out a printer/scanner yet, so it could be USB, parallel, or whatever we need it to be.

Thanks again.