Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Wireless internet Question

Old 05-01-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wireless internet Question

Hey Guys,

I just bought a labtop, and I would like to share the connection with my desktop to my labtop. I would like to do it wireless so I could be all around the house. Can you help me find what I totally need to hook up both systems to the internet?

Thanks guys?!
Old 05-01-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's one suggestion..

Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless 4 Port Cable/DSL Router - $159.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...05ARK3/dvdtalk

Linksys WPC11 Wireless Network PC Card - $74.94
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...056SSM/dvdtalk

If your PC doesn't have a NIC yet...
Linksys LNE100TX EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card - $19.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...03006R/dvdtalk

Throw in the $10 off $75 coupon from the Amazon Coupons thread in DVD Bargains..

Your PC would need a standard 10/100 NIC and you'd need eithernet cable to go from the PC to the Router and then the cable modem/dsl modem would connect to the router giving both your PC and your laptop access to the internet as well as the ability to share files/folders...
Old 05-01-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you want to go wireless on both computers, buy a PCI card for your laptop so all you do is plug it in and off you go, and a USB wireless connector for your PC. (At work we have this exact setup, my laptop with a PCI card and my boss with the USB connector). Then you just need a wireless access point to connect your cable modem to and off you go. If you want to set up security on the connection, it may take a little longer, but other than that, you should be off and running.
Old 05-01-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ben732
Here's one suggestion..

Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless 4 Port Cable/DSL Router - $159.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...05ARK3/dvdtalk

Linksys WPC11 Wireless Network PC Card - $74.94
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...056SSM/dvdtalk

If your PC doesn't have a NIC yet...
Linksys LNE100TX EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card - $19.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...03006R/dvdtalk

Throw in the $10 off $75 coupon from the Amazon Coupons thread in DVD Bargains..

Your PC would need a standard 10/100 NIC and you'd need eithernet cable to go from the PC to the Router and then the cable modem/dsl modem would connect to the router giving both your PC and your laptop access to the internet as well as the ability to share files/folders...
So this is how this works..

I have my cable modem hooked up to the linksys and another cord hooked back up to my ethernet card. And then my labtop will have one of thos little flappy things plugged into the pcmi slot? Just want to get it right before I spend 250 bucks
Old 05-01-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by SnoopDogg

So this is how this works..

I have my cable modem hooked up to the linksys and another cord hooked back up to my ethernet card. And then my labtop will have one of thos little flappy things plugged into the pcmi slot? Just want to get it right before I spend 250 bucks
Yeah... The cable modem plugged into the WAN port of the Wireless Router. You then have a cable go from PORT1 of the Router to your PC's PCI Network card. That would be all the cabling you'd need. The laptop would get on the network via the wireless card.

You can get a USB Wireless card for your Desktop PC but personally I think it's extra money that you don't need to spend.

Also, the Linksys Wireless Router would provide security for your in-home network by not allowing outside requests in to your PCs and would block ports, etc...

The links above are DVDTalk Links so use them to help support the site!
Old 05-01-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks alot ben.
Old 05-01-02, 02:01 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by Ben732
Yeah... The cable modem plugged into the WAN port of the Wireless Router. You then have a cable go from PORT1 of the Router to your PC's PCI Network card. That would be all the cabling you'd need. The laptop would get on the network via the wireless card.

You can get a USB Wireless card for your Desktop PC but personally I think it's extra money that you don't need to spend.

Also, the Linksys Wireless Router would provide security for your in-home network by not allowing outside requests in to your PCs and would block ports, etc...

The links above are DVDTalk Links so use them to help support the site!
Excellent points. The desktop, unless it's going to far from the router, does not need to be wireless. Many wireless routers have 3 or 4 10/100 ports so that you can use cables to connect. It's nice to have the notebook computer on wireless to make it truly mobile.
Old 05-01-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i don't know about this particular brand/setup, but this BroMax 802.11b acess point/router and PCMCIA card for $134 + shipping might be a good deal. link.