Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Difference between an Internal / External Hard drive?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-01-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

>> External Hard Drive Thread <<

I have been looking / asking around about getting another hard drive to where I can save my own mp3s, pics, and vids. It's my dad's pc and he doesn't want me to crowd the memory with all my stuff.

I just bought 256RAM for this pc about 3 weeks ago (pic below).

Anyhow, I was checking out one of the other threads on internal hard drives, and still have some Q's.

Since people are recommended an internal HD, I can save MY stuff to this drive and my family use the other right? Where does this thing install? If I go with internal I know to get 7200! Anything else I should consider? How about which brand? When I do get my own PC do I just remove the hard drive and install on my PC (probably about 16 months)

I am on a Compaq 7360.

Here is the 256RAM I bought about 3 weeks ago:

Here are the pics of the inside when I was installing the RAM:

Thanks for any info!

PS<> IS this an Internal HD:

Old 05-01-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Follow the cable from your current hd and see if you could plug another device into it. one end of the cable should plug into the Motherboard, and then you should have two more connectors, one currently plugged into your hd, and another one. Just plug the new hd into the other slot. If your IDE cable doesn't allow for two devices, then you need to go buy another cable. The IDE one drive should be installed right above your current hd. Also, set your new HD to slave (follow the directions on the top of your new HD. Brand-wise, I'd say go with an IBM* or Maxtor. You shouldn't have any problems moving the hd to the new computer

*Don't buy an 65GXP(IIRC)
Old 05-01-02, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm a bit confused. but since i remember my 98civicLX fondly, i'll try to help out...

i assume your dad is not so worried about crowding his "memory" as he is worried that you're using up all of his hard drive space. (how big is the hard drive and how full is it now? if it's a 20-40 gig hard drive, i'd guess he's not using all that much of it :>)

however much memory (RAM) he had before, i'd guess adding the 256 you stuck in is more than enough physical memory.

i don't think an external HD is really what you want here. an internal HD may not really be either. if you're hoping to slap an internal HD into your dad's machine, then in 16 months build a new computer and slap that HD into the new machine, that probably won't work. (you'd need to install the OS, etc etc.) what WOULD work is to use the HD for 2 years, then back it all up onto CD or temporarily on your dad's hard drive, then reformat, stick it in the new machine, install the OS, and put your pictures or whatnot on the new computer.

that picture at the bottom is the inside of a hard disc. if you're lucky, you'll never see that :> all you'll see is the small gray box that you probably already saw inside your dad's computer.
Old 05-01-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well, if you use the drive only as a secondary hd, then you should be able to just move it over to the new computer, and then install windows on it.
Old 05-01-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by .
well, if you use the drive only as a secondary hd, then you should be able to just move it over to the new computer, and then install windows on it.
correct. i guess i was assuming he'd only have one HD :>
Old 05-01-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not much else to add. The picture you posted is an internal picture of an internal hard drive. Make sense?

This is what an internal hard drive looks like:

The picture you posted is of the platters on the inside. If you were to remove the casing of the above picture, you would find those platters inside.

For example like this:

Old 05-01-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Eeyore

correct. i guess i was assuming he'd only have one HD :>
That is the thing, I want this NEW HD to be for my stuff ONLY!!!!
So, I am only going to do this if we can keepthe existing HD as well. There is only one cable back there, so I imagine we have space for this new hard drive.

We had like 60 or 64 RAM before I added the 256.

If it's going to be a pain in the a$$ to put in my pc when I get it, then I won't even do this at all. I'll just put everything on cdr's and forget about the vids..... ...and get something for the civic (air horn)

Thanks again!
Old 05-01-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It certainly appears by your picture that you can leave the existing hard drive and add one of your own.

P.S. We are both Jonathan's Oh, and I see you live in Savannah, GA. My wife wants to visit there bad. I'll come and do the hard-drive install and you can board us

Last edited by Nefarious; 05-01-02 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-01-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Nefarious
It certainly appears by your picture that you can leave the existing hard drive and add one of your own.

Cool! Will I have a desktop icon for my HD? C: is the current HD, correct? Will mine be G:

P.S. We are both Jonathan's Oh, and I see you live in Savannah, GA. My wife wants to visit there bad. I'll come and do the hard-drive install and you can board us
Best name out there You're wanting to see Savannah and I am wanting to leave this place ...I'm already sharing a room with my brother
Old 05-01-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Typically what the O/S will do is assign letters in the following way:

Floppy drives
Hard Drives
CD/DVD drives
Removable drives

Your newly installed hard-drive will become D: and what was D: (probably your cd-rom) will become E:, etc.
Old 05-01-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: DIfference between an Internal / External Hard drive?

Umm... one is inside and the other is outside..

Besides that, most of the external hard drives have a hard shell on the outside and probably is some color other than the usual greyish silver. Plus you won't see as many of the internal bits (if any) as you would on an internal harddrive.
Old 05-01-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

we're all talking in circles. . and i were talking about one or two hard drives in civic's FUTURE computer. (i may not be able to say it anymore, but i can cut and paste it)

you can absolutely 100% certainlypositivelydefinitely have 2 in your father's computer. it'll be a piece of cake to install today... what you do when you get a new computer depends on whether you buy a whole system or build one.