Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

where to buy computers in bulk?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-30-02, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are supplying a foreign company with some up to date computers for export and are looking for 50-100 P4s. Does anyone have a good lead?
Old 04-30-02, 08:28 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can work out a deal with CDW and maybe Dell if you want name brands. But be careful when dealing with Dell from what I've heard lately about their current aggressive legal agreements.

So the Libyans can't buy direct, huh?
Old 04-30-02, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by X

So the Libyans can't buy direct, huh?
cubans

actually, it's for a school program in Africa. We finance the export so we just need to take title of the computers to give the company credit.
Old 04-30-02, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by X
But be careful when dealing with Dell from what I've heard lately about their current aggressive legal agreements.

could you elaborate?

thanks
Old 04-30-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get a quotation from Dell and IBM. See if they're willing to price match. You don't have as much leverage as a big company but at least give it a try.
Old 04-30-02, 09:39 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Walter Mitty

could you elaborate?
I've been reading some articles in trade magazines such as eWeek that Dell has been trapping customers in some bad deals. They've been warning corporate buyers to inspect every single detail of the deal, such as memory upgrade costs and what happens over time, not just the initial purchase price.

I think one of the things they said to watch out for works like this: Dell will give a price for a specific configuration. Then if you want to add a bit of memory to the computer the cost of the computer goes up dramatically. And you've already agreed to get the upgrade from them. That type of stuff. Just be very careful because they're extremely predatory right now.
Old 05-01-02, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are going for worldwide support, try compaq deskpro series.

This place is good to deal with and the saleman are on commision so a volume deal could make them give you a good price. Beat them into a good price if you have to.

http://www.insight.com/web/apps/cate...1&C=102&S=1013
Old 05-01-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just make sure there are support there,if not everytime you have to send them back here for repairs!IBM and Compaq are very strong in those countries,I dont know about Dell though.