Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

challenge for hardware buffs

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-30-02, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a master 5400 maxtor with an imb 7200 slave. I was a fool to configure it that way but thats how it ended up after I bought the newer 7200 harddrive.

Windows ME is installed on the 5400.
W2K installed on 7200.

Problem 1:
How do I physically switch master to slave and slave to master? I changed the Pins on the harddrives and a "NTLDR is missing" came up on the screen in DOS when I restarted.

Problem 2:
I want to reformat both drives so that only W2K exists..

Thanks for anyone who takes up this challenge hehe.
Old 04-30-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if you're going to reformat, i'd just put things back the way they were and back up everything you want saved. you can reinstall all the software, but your data etc etc etc.

then i'd worry about formatting and getting them set up. i don't know much about win2000 but i'd guess that if you set the 7200 as master and reformat-reinstall, it'll work fine.

something that helps me is to deal with the simplest setup possible... so if you're doing the reformatting etc, just deal with the 7200. leave the 5400 on the desk somewhere. once you've got win2000 working fine, then add the other HD. there's probably no real reason to do it, but it just helps to troubleshoot any glitches that come along IMHO.
Old 04-30-02, 10:48 AM

I have backed up everything and am ready to go.

The problem is with the harddrive. I know how to reformat my original harddrive that is the 5400 since I dont have to do anything with the plugs/pins. However I dont know how to replace my the master 5400 with the slave 7200 and *then* reformat.

Also can anyone tell me whether I need to do anything with the BIOS if I replace the 7200 drive with the 5400?
In fact I am thinking of getting rid of my 5400 cos I suspect its a corrupted HDD.

Thanks for the tips guys!
Old 04-30-02, 11:27 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by samaraispy
I have backed up everything and am ready to go.

The problem is with the harddrive. I know how to reformat my original harddrive that is the 5400 since I dont have to do anything with the plugs/pins. However I dont know how to replace my the master 5400 with the slave 7200 and *then* reformat.

Also can anyone tell me whether I need to do anything with the BIOS if I replace the 7200 drive with the 5400?
In fact I am thinking of getting rid of my 5400 cos I suspect its a corrupted HDD.

Thanks for the tips guys!

In general, to swap a slave/master you will need to 1) change jumpers on both drives (from slave to master on the 7200 and from master to slave on the 5400); 2) swap the drives on the ribbon cable so that the drive you want to be master is on the end; 3) check the BIOS to see that is has correctly detected the drives. Once you've done this, boot from a floppy or CD and format.
Old 04-30-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Win2k should be a bootable cd. In your bios you can change the order of boot devices (i.e. which device the computer tries to boot from first). Or you may get a "Press any key to boot from CD" and it will allow you about a 3-5 second interval to do that in. If you don't hit a key, it bypasses the boot from cd option and proceeds to try and boot off the hard drive.

So, remove both drives. Set the jumper on the 7200 to either master or single drive setting. Reconnect the IDE ribbon to it. Boot the computer and insert the Win2000 cd immediately into the drive.

Once you successfully boot to the Win2k cd you can delete the current partition, create a new one, and format it. Then proceed with the Win2k install.
Old 04-30-02, 11:54 AM

nefarious: just what i needed to hear!

Thanks so much!
You made my day.