Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody use the Mozilla browser?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-30-02, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.mozilla.org/

I read about it in this weeks time magazine.
Old 04-30-02, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

nope, but opera is really good. imo, it's faster than IE
Old 04-30-02, 01:55 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No. Unfortunately I live in Libya and they won't let me download it.
Old 04-30-02, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've tried, but wasn't impressed. I'll stick to IE & Opera.
Old 04-30-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've downloaded the betas as it was being developed and was never impressed with how it performed or looked.

I'll keep with Opera. (I love the mouse gestures with it)
Old 05-03-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i've tried many times to rid my computer of MSOffice and IE. i've successfully stopped using office and use StarOffice now, but i keep coming back to IE.

i tried mozilla (seemed like a bloated piece of work that crashed more often than IE) and Kmeleon (seemed relatively simple & elegant, but had a few nagging problems that i finally got tired of).
Old 05-23-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm going to modify my previous answer. i just installed a newer build of mozilla and it's not half bad. i can see a few places where it looks different than IE, but overall it is fast and works well. I like the ability to customize the search (so i can set the browser to automatically search google, but i think IE will only search MS' own search) and you can even highlight text on the screen and drag it onto the search icon and it'll automatically search for that. that's a cool feature.

it's not really important but you can also customize the look of the browser with different themes. mozilla's a lot better than it was last time i checked it out (maybe 8-10 months ago?)

Edit: oooh. it also has a built-in pop-up stopper. nice.

Last edited by Eeyore; 05-23-02 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-23-02, 07:38 PM

RC2

i've been using mozilla off and on from the milestone 1 build up through the current version, which is release candidate 2 (RC2). on my (modest) hardware, it's just as fast as IE (or faster), hasn't crashed in the past month, and has some really cool features (pop-up stopper, tabbed browsing within one window, automatic google search, autoload of dlls to speed startup, etc.)

if you're looking for a non-microsoft, completely free, standards compliant browser, i'd have to say mozilla is worth a try.
Old 05-24-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i got all excited about the popup stopper, but sometimes it lets popups come through anyway... the only thing i did was uncheck the "allow web pages to open unrequested windows" (in preferences -> advanced -> scripts/windows)

the popups that annoy me the most are those Orbitz ones at the NYtimes and washington post. they still pop up about 1/4 of the time i go to these sites. is there something else i should be adjusting, or will they just sneak through every once in a while?