Reload this Page >

Clearing your BIOS??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Clearing your BIOS??

Old 04-29-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearing your BIOS??

i'm asking this for a friend, because i had no idea what he was talking about when he called me tonight..

he wasn't able to get into his bios like normal by pressing DEL at startup.. he said something about there being a jumper on his motherboard, which you take off to 'clear the bios'.. i guess he did that, then put it back on, and now his computer won't boot. just a black screen, and it hangs.. he tried booting with a boot disk, and that didn't work either..

anyone ever hear of anything like this??
Old 04-30-02, 12:02 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know the BIOS/jumper thing, but with a few differences.

You usually short a couple of pins (or put a jumper on them) to clear the BIOS. Better check that out, his procedure sounds backwards. The object is sometimes to drain the battery so, depending on the motherboard, he may need to remove the battery too. What is the motherboard?

And after you clear the BIOS the machine should be back in "factory" state. It's very possible that there is another problem given that nothing happened before the "maybe" clearing. Did he do anything to memory lately? Are there any beeps?
Old 04-30-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is also possible he was trying to flash his bios. some older bios I think required you to change a jumper to allow you to flash then after you successfully flashed you changed the jumper back.

Of course if the flash failed and then he went and changed the jumper back then his bios would be toast and he would not be able to boot up. to fix this you need to replace the bios chip in most cases.

Not sure that this is what happened. if he was just trying to clear the bios to default settings after a bad overclock for example you need to take out the battery and usually drain the remaining power by shorting some pins as X mentioned.
Old 04-30-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe he's referring to clearing the ESCD portion of the BIOS (usually done in menus) which is advisable before you reinstall an OS; Windows tends to write to it when enumerating devices, so it's like the last remnants of the setup you used to have and it's better to start with a totally clean slate. (?)
Old 04-30-02, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds to me like he was trying to clear the Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor

If he didn't turn the PC off before he switched the jumper and didn't put it back correctly before he rebooted, he may have fried something!
Old 04-30-02, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It sounds like he was probably trying to clear the NVRam of the bios which is normally done, like X said, by taking a jumper which is usually hanging off of a set of 2 pins, place it on those 2 pins (WHILE THE PC IS OFF) and then turn the pc on, the bios will go through post and beep or say on the screen that the NVRam was cleared successfully and then you turn it off, and put the jumper back and power back up.

If he tried to move the jumper while the PC was on, he probably fried the board.
Old 04-30-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the replies, folks.. i'll post more info tonight when i talk to him again.