Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Program Uninstall Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-29-02, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running Windows XP Home ed. I downloaded a program and installed it. Now I want to uninstall it. When I go to add/remove programs and click I get an error saying Installation failed I tried reinstalling and removing again but I keep getting the same message. How do I get it off of my computer?
Old 04-29-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This might seem like a stupid question but does the application itself have an uninstall feature. Most do nowadays. Just check the folder it's installed in. It might have one.

About the add/remove programs, that's actually happened to me once. I dont know what to do either.
Old 04-29-02, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Souljahh
This might seem like a stupid question but does the application itself have an uninstall feature. Most do nowadays. Just check the folder it's installed in. It might have one.

About the add/remove programs, that's actually happened to me once. I dont know what to do either.

It doesn't have a uninstall feature
Old 04-29-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In these cases you usually have to resort to third party programs like CleanSweep or Uninstaller to do the trick although i'm not really a big fan of them though. If that doesn't work you can do it manually through messing around with the registry if you are alright with that. Not that hard actually, just find those registry entries with that program that you want to get rid of and delete them. You could mess up your system if you aren't careful so i'm not advocating this in any way ... just another alternative. I've never messed up my registry by solely deleting the offending program and only that program. If you don't know what it is ... leave it alone.

After all this I would run something like Norton Utilities Windoctor and fix up any stray ends.
Old 04-29-02, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the advice bill_n_opus I used Norton Wipe info.