Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

are the sony mp3 cd players any good?

Old 04-29-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are the sony mp3 cd players any good?

i was looking for something like this:

http://www.sonystyle.com/electronics...d=31211&type=p

anyone know if these things are any good?
Old 04-29-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think consumer reports ranks them the top brand.
Old 04-29-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by J-Dubya
I think consumer reports ranks them the top brand.
do you happen to have a link?
Old 04-29-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So you are looking for a player that will play MP3s from a CD-R, or are you looking for an MP3 player on which you can store MP3s? (the latter being much smaller, the former being bulkier, but easy to transfer MP3s from device to device)

If you look in "Other Bargains", you should find a link which will give you 30 days free to www.consumerreports.org

Otherwise, still go there and do a search on "MP3", there are a couple of articles which you can see for free which will give you honest advice on what to look for.

The articles are titled:
What's available and how to choose
Important features to look for

Also, the May 2002 issue (the issue currently on stands) apparently has an update on MP3 players.
Old 04-29-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks Heat!

I'm looking for a mp3 player that uses a CD-R. I checked out consumer reports, but they didn't have any of the sony mp3 cd players i did check the portable cd players, and Sony has the top 5 slots. guess i'll just buy it
Old 04-29-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by .
Thanks Heat!

I'm looking for a mp3 player that uses a CD-R. I checked out consumer reports, but they didn't have any of the sony mp3 cd players i did check the portable cd players, and Sony has the top 5 slots. guess i'll just buy it
Sony makes some nice ones. My car stereo from them plays cdr's and mp3's and it does a great job. I could not be happier
Old 04-30-02, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about a Sony minidisc?

I've been sitting on the fence for a long, long time thinking of a mp3 player purchase. Lately, i've been thinking minidisc as there are lots of pluses going for it. Evidently, Sony makes some of the best MD players out there. It depends on what you do with it. If you are running around and working out then from what I understand the MD player would probably be a better choice than a cdr based player.

There seems to be quite a few people out there that love the MD format way over cdr and memory based players. Higher dollars upfront but less on the backend and pretty good reliability.

MD - great all around and even great for working out. More expensive frontend but MD discs are cheap nowadays and hold lots of storage.

cdr - Cheap upfront for player and media, holds lots of storage but suspect quality wise for active people. If you don't move much then this may be your best choice. (not me - I need something I can work out and run around with)

memory based - cheap to expensive front end but media is still relatively expensive for alot of it. Great portability and workout potential.

hard drive based - an IPOD with native windows support and i'd be in there like swimwear. 'nuff said. Relatively expensive but taking into consideration the price per megabyte ... also the IPOD acts as a portable hard drive. Cool! That's for me.

This is the way I see it.
Old 04-30-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: How about a Sony minidisc?

Originally posted by bill_n_opus
cdr - Cheap upfront for player and media, holds lots of storage but suspect quality wise for active people. If you don't move much then this may be your best choice. (not me - I need something I can work out and run around with)

hard drive based - an IPOD with native windows support and i'd be in there like swimwear. 'nuff said. Relatively expensive but taking into consideration the price per megabyte ... also the IPOD acts as a portable hard drive. Cool! That's for me.

This is the way I see it.
yup...cdrs work best for me...i like the IPOD, but it costs too much right now...good price for 6 GB(?) player, but no money