Reload this Page >

? need advice with TV-out

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-28-02, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running Xp,

What's the best way to output video to a widescreen HDTV?
I tried using the s-video connection on my video card GFORCE 2 MX400 (soon to be upgraded, most likely to a GF4 4200).

I found that I couldn't get the whole screen filled (sides are blank), and the resolution (800x600) is pretty poor.

The newer videocards have 1024x768 TV-out, has anyone noticed significant improvement over 800x600?

Anyone have any advice on outputting video from computer to TV?

Thanks!
dan
Old 04-28-02, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Try this thread http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=yxy
Old 04-29-02, 03:56 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: ? need advice with TV-out

Originally posted by dani-wan
The newer videocards have 1024x768 TV-out, has anyone noticed significant improvement over 800x600?

Anyone have any advice on outputting video from computer to TV?
Even if you output 1024x768, the resolution on the TV will not be that great, since most TVs do not have that many lines. Most TVs have less than 400 horizontal lines. If you're watching movies, then they will look fine. Most anything else will look blurry.
Old 04-29-02, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Depending on the specific equipment that you have, it may be possible to attach the video output from you video card directly to the TV and configure the video card to drive the TV like a computer monitor at HD resolutions.

If your TV only has component inputs, then you may have to buy an RGB to component video converter. Then you'd have to find some combination of video card, video driver, and (maybe) third party software that can then configure the video output so that the signal is compliant with one of the HD resolutions (probably 720P).

The result is that you would basically be using your HDTV as a computer monitor that has 1280x720 resolution (720P).
Old 04-29-02, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The reason it doesn't fill the screen is beacase the 800x600 is a 4:3 resolution and your widescreen TV is 16:9

To fill up the screen, you need a program like Powerstrip so you can configure the card to output a custom 16:9 resolution
Old 04-30-02, 01:29 AM

Connecting to a regular TV

I have a slightly different question. I have a very new computer hooked up to a pretty new TV (via S-Video), and I can't figure out how to tell the computer to recognize the TV. There's an area on monitor configuration that lets you select a TV as your monitor, but it's grayed out. Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-02, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Connecting to a regular TV

Originally posted by DVDAnt
I have a slightly different question. I have a very new computer hooked up to a pretty new TV (via S-Video), and I can't figure out how to tell the computer to recognize the TV. There's an area on monitor configuration that lets you select a TV as your monitor, but it's grayed out. Any advice?

Thanks!
You may need to first change the display mode to 640x480 or 800x600 at 60 Hz refresh rate before the TV output option becomes enabled.
Old 04-30-02, 04:03 PM

I changed the resolution to 800x600 (the lowest option) and the refresh rate to 60 Hz, but the TV area is still grayed out.
Old 04-30-02, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVDAnt
I changed the resolution to 800x600 (the lowest option) and the refresh rate to 60 Hz, but the TV area is still grayed out.
You do have a TV plugged into the card when you're doing this right? Aside from that, you might want to fiddle with the color depth and try 16, 24, or 32 bit color. Also check if there are newer drivers for your card.
Old 04-30-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
with my geforce2 that option is greyed out if the svideo cable isn't connected to my card and the RF modulator I run the cable to isn't plugged into the power outlet
Old 05-03-02, 06:51 PM

Ok new question, I bought an s-video cable and have it connecting the PC to my TV, but the picture has diagonal fuzzy bars that keep scrolling like a TV channel with bad reception-- it looks like it might be interference? has anyone run into this problem before? Any ideas on how i might overcome this?

Thanks
Old 10-12-02, 02:26 PM

(bump)

I'm also interested in hearing what's the best way to connect a PC to a 16:9 HDTV.
Old 10-12-02, 02:39 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: (bump)

Originally posted by codefree
I'm also interested in hearing what's the best way to connect a PC to a 16:9 HDTV.
Depends on your set. Most people use a transcoder (~$150-200) that converts from VGA to component. So if your set has component-in, you will get a very good picture from your VGA-out. Infinitely better than s-video-out. If you have a decent VGA-in (as I do) it's even better because then you don't need the transcoder. You just treat your set as a computer monitor and plug in a long VGA cable.

In order to get custom resolutions exactly as your set requires them you need to use a program called PowerStrip (~$30). It allows you to set resolutions such as 720x480 for DVD, 848x480 for Windows desktop, and all sorts of other custom timings and tweaks.