Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Which external hard drive should I get? (4 my b-day)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-28-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I decided that I want to get an external hard drive for my b-day. I have plenty of photos, vids, and music I can put on it. I haven't even priced them yet

I'm hoping it will be no more than $250

What do I look for in a decent hard drive? I am looking for something that is a pretty good size. Hold plenty of photos, vids, and music.

Should I get it from the net or what? My buddy works over at a local Circuit City so he may be able to grab one for me with his generous discount

Thanks for any input on this!!

PS I saw the thread with one reply from last year, but thought I'd create a new one....
Old 04-28-02, 07:12 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You want USB 2 or firewire for the transfer speed. And then you'll need to get a USB 2 or firewire card for your computer. If you get USB 2, you can probably use it with USB 1 for now (which you probably already have), then upgrade later if you want to save money.
Old 04-28-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the input "X"!

What do you think about these from Best Buy:

$199.99 --> 20.0GB

$199.99 --> 60.0GB

$179.99 --> 20.0GB

What do you think about the 60.GB above? The features are below:

60.0GB capacity

USB 2.0 interface (cable included)

Cross-platform compatibility

Plug-and-play setup

9.5 ms average access time

512KB cache buffer

5400 rpm maximum spindle speed

USB 2.0 transfers data at rates up to 40 times faster than USB 1.1

USB 1.1 backward compatibility (at USB 1.1 speed)

Stackable to save desk space

I really don't understand the features. Are they pretty good for $200?

Circuit City hard drives ---->
HERE!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for any input!
Old 04-28-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My boss got me a maxtor external HD for work and home (easier to transport than a laptop). It cost $299 for 120 GB from buy.com It's a very nice drive, but, if you're removing it from one computer to plug into another quite a bit, this may not be the best drive for you. It has some conflicts when trying to remove it from the USB port. All you have to do is shut the computer down, then remove it, otherwise you may get some corrupted files. As long as you turn the computer off first though, it works like a charm. Another option (if you're thinking of making it bootable or anything like that) is to get a dataport that allows you to swap in a hard drive from your system. It has a carrying case with it and is hot swappable (just plug it in, turn the computer on, and off you go).
Old 04-28-02, 09:17 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The first and third ones you linked are dogs. I would only go firewire (3rd) if you also want to input video. And the capacity of the first and third are very small. The second one is a faster drive and much bigger. I don't know anything about either of the brands, but I'd sure go for the second one.

You should look around on the internet a bit more though, and price a USB 2 board if you don't already have it. I think they're getting down in price and I remember hearing people say they liked the Adaptec board.

As for CC, they have a kit where you can get your own drive and put it in (ADS Tech USB 2.0 External Drive Kit) for $100. That might be the way I'd go since you can get an 80GB 5400RPM (or maybe 7500RPM if it has cooling) for another $100 and make your own superior unit. Might take a bit of computer ability though, but probably not much. I had to search around a bit since your link's session had expired, but I didn't see anything for the price as good as the BB #2 unit.

What kind of computer do you have?
Old 04-28-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd recommend going with a firewire solution. I started using them a while ago to connect a DV camera, but I've found it to be an incredibly versatile and robust interface.

I have an old Maxtor 80 GB IDE drive mounted in an ADS case that has an IDE to firewire adapter inside it. You can buy that case separately or as part of kit that comes with a PCI Firewire card. Anyway, this drive gets moved from machine to machine quite regularly and it's pretty effortless.

Aside from the cost of the IDE drive, I've seen Firewire case and card kits go for as low as $70.

Lampei, I'd guess that this exists for the USB drives as well, but for Firewire drives, you can go into the "unplug or eject hardware" dialog and stop the drive if you want to remove gracefully without turning the computer off. I do it all the time.
Old 04-28-02, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by belboz
Lampei, I'd guess that this exists for the USB drives as well, but for Firewire drives, you can go into the "unplug or eject hardware" dialog and stop the drive if you want to remove gracefully without turning the computer off. I do it all the time.
Yeah, they have that on the USB drives also, but each time I try to stop it, I get a message "drive cannot be stopped now. Try again later" My response was "when the hell is later?" Apparently something in the background is always trying to access the drive (I've got Norton installed, but stopped that so it wasn't that). I even e-mailed Maxtor tech support who said if you can't shut down the processes, just shut down the computer. Oh well, I guess it works, so I just shut down each time I want to remove it.
Old 04-29-02, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Which external hard drive should I get? (4 my b-day)

Originally posted by LX98Civic
What do I look for in a decent hard drive? I am looking for something that is a pretty good size. Hold plenty of photos, vids, and music.
I suggest USB 2.0 as it is fast and will be the universal favourite plug-and-play interface in the next year as more and more motherboards switch to providing USB 2.0.

My friends and I have used external drives for years now in USB, SCSI, and Firewire, and the problems are small. Just don't drop them! At first, the problem with corrupted files perplexed us until we figured out the solution to plug and unplug the drives.

Another reason to pick USB is that there is an excellent chance this interface will be everywhere unlike firewire and SCSI.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: If you are bound to a specific Microsoft operating system, note that USB 2.0 requires an operating system of Win98SE or newer. Straight Win98 will not cut it. If you use the old slow USB 1.1 drives, almost all of them also require Win98SE except for BusLink which is able to work with Win98. Firewire also requires Win98SE or newer. SCSI will work with everything.

STARTIDE's STRONG SUGGESTION: If you like to have the smallest USB drives with no exposed moving parts, you will have to stick with BusLink brand units. Their cases do not need a fan and they are thin and slim with lots of smooth edges. When I buy more USB 2.0 drives, they will all be BusLink even though the other brands are cheaper.

STARTIDE HINT: If you do consider BusLink, note carefully on the box illustration that it may or may not come with a "FREE" USB 2.0 PCI card inside the box for those people who have older motherboards without USB 2.0 on them. Other brands might require you to buy this card separately.
Old 04-29-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I take back everything I said about my maxtor. It crapped out this morning, so now I have to redownload everything from the servers to the hard drive. Luckily I uploaded most of my files to the server, but now I need to download them to my laptop I got a cyclic redundancy error and now it keeps asking me "Do you want to format e:?" Hell yes I do, but I need my freakin' data first. Now to figure out what I want to try now (instead of my laptop).
Old 04-29-02, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I might not have made it as clear as I could have in the prior posts, but if you intend to travel with the external hard drive, it may be convenient to be able to carry EVERYTHING in one single laptop case dedicated to the laptop and its peripherals. In such a situation, you want to have the smallest THINNEST external drive possible so that you don't end up with a huge bulging laptop case. I am able to carry everything in one not-too-bulging case on business travels: Dell Inspiron, usb-powered ultra-thin canon N656U scanner, pcmcia modem, USB-powered ethernet adapter, USB-powered scsi2 adaptor, laptop-powered external speakers, buslink usb hard drive. I used to have the Metricom Ricochet wireless modem, but perhaps one day, I will have it again.

You might also look up those USB connector cable posts for more older comments about USB external hard drives. For background on USB, you might also look at the thread below:

http://www.gotapex.com/forums/showth...?threadid=9261