Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Trouble getting cable internet

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-27-02, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Compaq 7478 computer. I tried to get cable internet. Comcast couldn't get the ethernet card to work. They tried several different ones. They told me to contact Compaq. I wrote to Compaq and they told me they didn't have a ethernet card for my computer and they didn't have any data on third party cards. Can anyone help me?

Rick
Old 04-27-02, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tell Comcast to give you a USB modem instead
Old 04-28-02, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what exactly was the problem with the ethernet card? (the comcast guys couldn't figure out how to open your case, plug it in, get the OS to recognize it?)

i looked up your computer and it's not all that old. can't see any particular reason an ethernet card wouldn't work. the reason i'm skeptical of the comcast guys is i hear stories from other people getting cable internet installations that they send guys to do the "professional" installation and they try to cram ISA ethernet cards into PCI slots (or actually apparently utterly demolished one motherboard because the guy was convinced that a PCI network card should be going into an AGP slot.... not good)

jumbojp's suggestion might be a good one. a USB modem might work if you don't want to struggle figuring out the network card.
Old 04-28-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

do you have any open IRQ's?

if not maybe you need to disable something to open one up so that you could install one. If you use a printer that is USB and do not use the parallel port that is a nice one to disable.