Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What kind of performance am I getting from my current video card?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-27-02, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I built my computer last summer I was much more of a novice than I am now, so I bought a few parts without much research. Right now I have an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 pro AGP with 32MB memory. I love it for its video capture abilities but I am wondering how games I am running look in comparison to other, higher end cards. I've never had a chance to compare. I have an Athlon 1.3gig with 512MB of memory and I'm running Windows XP. I have been running games such as Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Max Payne, and Jedi Knight II. Any suggestions for a low price card that would significantly increse my graphics performance, or do I even really need a new one?
Old 04-29-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The 3D chip on that board is at least a couple generations old by now. Any of the more modern cards would provide a fairly significant boost in performance that should be fairly noticeable.

A Radeon 7500 or a fast Geforce2 (not MX) board can be had in the $50 to $75 range. This should allow you to get higher frame rates as well as higher resolutions.

In the over $100 range, currently the Geforce3 Ti200 is a great deal, but in a few weeks we should see Geforce4 Ti4200 models for just a little bit more. Either of those would let you crank up all the quality settings to maximum and still enjoy high frame rates and high resolutions.
Old 04-29-02, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

for $50, you could get a geforce 2 gts. this card kicks a$$, and IMO, the best card at that price

edit: check out this thread