Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Domain Hosting

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Domain Hosting

Old 04-26-02, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Domain Hosting

Anybody have any opinions of a domain host? I would like to pay no more than $10.00 per month (are there any hosts that charge around $5 as I am just a poor college student) preferrably and I really don't need any bells and whistles : about 10mb space (or even less, but at least 5mb but could settle with 5mb cheaply), unlimited email forwards, 1 pop email account and ftp. Thats just about it as it is only going to be a personal site. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a bit much, but for $7.77/month, you can't beat www.powweb.com

200 MB Storage
100 POP3 E-Mails
Yourname.com
Community Forum
12 GB Transfer
FrontPage 2002 Ext.
WebStats
SSL, MySQL, PHP4
Control Panel
99.7% Uptime
24/7 FTP Access
2 Months FREE
Web-Based E-mail
Old 04-26-02, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just found this though:
http://www.2mhost.com/2m/details.2m

$1.50/month for:
Linux RedHat 7.2 Operating system
Apache 1.3.20
24/7 Server Monitoring
OC3 Connectivity to Servers
%99.9 Uptime guaranteed
www.YourDomain.com
No ads or copyrights, ..
50Mb Disk Space
10 PopMail accounts
10 SubDomains (separate FTP accounts)
3 Mailing lists
Unlimited transfer
Unlimited AutoResponders and Aliases
Old 04-26-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.affordablehost.com/hosting.shtml

1 e-mail account, 250 MB space, 500 MB transfer a month for:

$20/year

Stats Package & FormMail
Custom Control Panel
phpMyAdmin, PHP, mySQL
Access to Raw Logs
Free domain name (Opt. 3 or higher)
Customer Discounts
POP *and* SMTP Email
Browser Access WebMail
Free Shopping Cart Install
CGI, SSI, FTP & more!

There's a lot more cheap hosts out there - none of which I've had any experience with. Try www.hostsearch.com for more.
Old 04-27-02, 03:14 PM

I have used Dixiesys.com for the past few months and been happy. They have a $19,95/year deal, or a $3.95/month deal (that's what I am using). I also have several sites hotsed at UplinkEarth.com. They have a $4.95/month deal if you're interested in Windows Hosting (ASP, SQL, etc.).
Old 04-27-02, 05:26 PM

Thanks so much for all the suggestions - dixiesys.com looks nice and cheap. I didn't want to buy all year hosting, as I am unsure of how long I will have the site up. Thanks again!
Old 04-27-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn, I'll have to try Dixiesys out...

Super Sized Site 1000 megs 20000 megs
Only $30/month?? That's amazing that they can give you 20 gigs of transfer for only $30/month...

Wahoo - do they have any sort of referral system in place? If so, just e-mail me with your username there in case I do sign up. I figure I could get ya a few free months if I do decide to sign up.
Old 04-27-02, 07:01 PM

I don't think there is any sort of referral system in place there, but I guess with it being so inexpensive, that might be why. Thanks for the offer though. I have no complaints about the service, their webmail is pretty easy to use, stuff is sent/recieved in a timely fashion. Downloads are quick from my site and I don't recall ever noticing any downtime. They also have user forums and have been pretty quick to respond to requests and questions, both through the forums and through email/help desk.
Old 05-01-02, 12:52 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Blake
It's a bit much, but for $7.77/month, you can't beat www.powweb.com

200 MB Storage
100 POP3 E-Mails
Yourname.com
Community Forum
12 GB Transfer
FrontPage 2002 Ext.
WebStats
SSL, MySQL, PHP4
Control Panel
99.7% Uptime
24/7 FTP Access
2 Months FREE
Web-Based E-mail
Anyone try these guys? Any good? I've been using Dixiesys, but I need better service. I've been getting less than superb service with Dixiesys. I signed up for one account a while ago and that account is on a cobalt server (different from the newer accounts), and I've been getting a lot of authorization errors.

I need better service. I've had great experience in the past with http://www.phpwebhosting.com but they're kinda on the expensive side (around $10/month). Looking to pay around $60/year.
Old 05-01-02, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by namja

Anyone try these guys? Any good? I've been using Dixiesys, but I need better service. I've been getting less than superb service with Dixiesys. I signed up for one account a while ago and that account is on a cobalt server (different from the newer accounts), and I've been getting a lot of authorization errors.

I need better service. I've had great experience in the past with http://www.phpwebhosting.com but they're kinda on the expensive side (around $10/month). Looking to pay around $60/year.
I'm currently using www.phpwebhosting.com as well, but my message board constantly returns server busy errors, but I really can't afford more than $10/month with such poor advertising revenue.

As for Powweb, I know a couple people who are using it for their sites, and they've been impressed thus far. I'm not sure how they handle a lot of traffic, or whatnot, but for small sites, I would assume Powweb is a good choice.

If you're looking for solid hosting with great support, I've been with www.hostexpress.com for years now and I absolutely love them - but they're a bit on the pricey side.
Old 05-01-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have been using readyhosting.com. 99/year and you get:

500MB Web Space
Free New Domain Registration
Unmetered Data Transfer
Unlimited Email
Unlimited Email Aliases
Unlimited Autoresponders
Web-Based Email
Toll-Free Technical Support
24 Hour FTP Access
99.9% Uptime Guarantee
30 Day Money-Back Guarantee
ASP Support
Live Statistics
FrontPage 2000 Extensions
Cold Fusion 4.5
Database Access
CGI/Perl
ASP Mail Component
ASPEmail Component
DevMailer Component
Instant Setup!
Password Protected Directories
Daily Backups
Custom 404 Error Page
Server Side Includes (.stm, .shtm, .shtml)
RealAudio/Video
PHP Server Extensions
SSL Security
E-commerce Shopping Cart by Cart32.com
Control Panel
SQL Server 2000 - ($25/Year Per Database)
ASP Simple Upload Component
Old 05-01-02, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by namja

namja - I think you can request that your site be moved to one of the newer servers if you want. I remember seeing someone ask for this and not having any trouble getting it awhile ago, so you might want to give that a shot.
Old 05-01-02, 11:30 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by wahoojeff
namja - I think you can request that your site be moved to one of the newer servers if you want. I remember seeing someone ask for this and not having any trouble getting it awhile ago, so you might want to give that a shot.
COOL. I have three domains with them. Two are in the old servers (both giving me problems) and one is in the new server (no problems ... yet). Also, I like the control panel of the new server much better as it runs faster and smoother.

Anyway ... I'll try this. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-04-02, 07:21 AM

I hope I am allowed to ask this, but do any of these places you guys are mentioning allow adult pages?? I know a lot of hosters do not. Any reccomendations for those kinds of pages?? (totally legal, no underage or anything like that).
Old 05-04-02, 07:50 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by darkhunter
I hope I am allowed to ask this, but do any of these places you guys are mentioning allow adult pages?? I know a lot of hosters do not. Any reccomendations for those kinds of pages?? (totally legal, no underage or anything like that).
AFAIK, most of the cheaper places don't allow it. If you really need a host for adult content, one easy way to find such a host would be to find an adult site, run a whois, and see where it is being hosted.
Old 05-04-02, 09:00 PM

thanks namja
never thought of that
Old 05-05-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a really good thread dedicated to Hosting if you're looking for more alternatives.

The One big "Give me a host" Thread
Old 05-06-02, 03:47 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by the aftermath
Here's a really good thread dedicated to Hosting if you're looking for more alternatives.

The One big "Give me a host" Thread
Very helpful. Thanks. I'm going to pick a host pretty soon. Right now, it's down to these two:

http://www.phpwebhosting.com
http://www.tera-byte.com
Old 06-06-02, 09:56 AM

HostPC is having a birthday sale.
Here are the details.

HostPC Birthday Sale
OWNERS BIRTHDAY SALE - Special pricing in effect until June 7, 2002.

From now until Midnight June 7, 2002, we're having a party! Setup a new domain, or transfer your existing domain to HostPC Internet Services, and we'll cut your price in HALF! That's right, for this week only, our hosting accounts are ONE HALF (50%) OFF - FOR ALL ACCOUNTS! This special package means you can host your domain for as little as $35.70 PER YEAR! No other hosting company gives you deals like this - no other hosting company gives you SERVICE like this. This is a ONE TIME promotion. Our prices will NEVER be lower.

Act on this TODAY!

http://www.hostpc.com/birthday.html

To qualify for these special prices, submit an order form for your domain by clicking here. We will have your domain processed within 12 hours.

If you have ANY questions, call our office at (518) 382-0102, or E-mail us at [email protected]

All sites feature:

Full Plesk control panel
Unlimited E-Mail forwarding
CGI/Perl and PHP Support
Detailed Statistics 24x7
30 day Money Back Guarantee
MySQL database support
IMAP and POP3 Mail Servers
Subdomains available based on plan
Web Mail Available for your domain ($10 setup)
Dual Redundant DS3 Connections, Totaling 90Mbps
Domain setup within 12 business hours.
30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee - Full Refund if not satisfied!

HostPC Birthday Sale