Reload this Page >

Is there a default login in Win2000?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-26-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought home a Win2K laptop from work and want to play with it this weekend. However, I don't know any of the passwords it wants.

Is there anything I can do to get into Windows on this thing?
Old 04-26-02, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Administrator is the default administrator name is guaranteed to be there unless the account was renamed (it can't be deleted). Try administrator with no password, administrator/password, and administrator/administrator.

Also, make sure you're trying to log into the machien and not into some domain that you can't contact.
Old 04-26-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by juiio
Administrator is the default administrator name is guaranteed to be there unless the account was renamed (it can't be deleted). Try administrator with no password, administrator/password, and administrator/administrator.
Thanks, but no dice.

Originally posted by juiio
Also, make sure you're trying to log into the machien and not into some domain that you can't contact.
Yup.

Other ideas? What about Safe Mode?

I basically want to know stuff like how big the hard drive is, how much RAM it has, the processor speed, etc. Any way to find this out with no login?

Thanks.
Old 04-26-02, 10:36 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by stevevt

I basically want to know stuff like how big the hard drive is, how much RAM it has, the processor speed, etc. Any way to find this out with no login?
Reinstall Win2K? It's no big deal. Or any other OS you have around.

There are programs that will reset your Administrator password. But you shouldn't do that on a computer you're giving back to someone who expects their OS to still be there intact.
Old 04-26-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
Reinstall Win2K? It's no big deal. Or any other OS you have around.

There are programs that will reset your Administrator password. But you shouldn't do that on a computer you're giving back to someone who expects their OS to still be there intact.
I have Win 98SE on cd around here somewhere, but I'd probably rather keep Win2k on it.

Basically, somebody resigned at work and I'm supposed to be test-driving this laptop to see if it's an improvement over my current one. Which it most certainly is, other than having no dvd drive.

By the way, I found this and this, which seem kind of scary. I'd considering booting from a DOS disk, except that I don't have one handy. As far as using the 2nd site to make a boot disc and do all that other schtuff, I think I'm way too tired to try to figure it out. Thoughts?

Or maybe somebody wants to break that second site down into some easy-to-digest steps for good ol' stevevt? If it helps, the hd on that machine is FAT32. Please don't ask me how I know that, or take the fact that I do to mean that I can understand this stuff on my own.
Old 04-27-02, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have Win 98SE on cd around here somewhere, but I'd probably rather keep Win2k on it.

Basically, somebody resigned at work and I'm supposed to be test-driving this laptop to see if it's an improvement over my current one. Which it most certainly is, other than having no dvd drive.

By the way, I found this and this, which seem kind of scary. I'd considering booting from a DOS disk, except that I don't have one handy. As far as using the 2nd site to make a boot disc and do all that other schtuff, I think I'm way too tired to try to figure it out. Thoughts?

Or maybe somebody wants to break that second site down into some easy-to-digest steps for good ol' stevevt? If it helps, the hd on that machine is FAT32. Please don't ask me how I know that, or take the fact that I do to mean that I can understand this stuff on my own.

Seems the first site is straight-forward enough, and a helluva lot less work than the second (although I've never tried it so I can't say it will work). If you don't have a dos bootdisk, just go to www.bootdisk.com and make one real quick.
Old 04-27-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if you're willing to go thru this.
1) Get the Winternals NTFSDOS Professional utility or the ERD Commander. If the sytem partition is FAT, then you don't need it, just get a Win9x bootdisk then. Once you have access to the command prompt, backup the folder :\winnt\system32\config
2) Get a utility to reset the adminstrator password like Winternal Locksmith. I have another utility that's much easier... let me know if you need it.
3) To restore the original security, just bootup to the command prompt again and copy the backup folder back to :\winnt\system32\config. Actually, you really need to restore the SAM and Security files only.
Old 04-27-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never tried the "del the SAM" step from the first link, but I cant ell you that cracking the SAM file can take about 20-30 hours on a Pentium II 400mhz using L0phtCrack or LC3.

I used the utility from the second link several times, but it was on NT 4.0 only. When it work, it's great, if it don't, you're still stuck with a pc with an unknown admin password.
Old 04-27-02, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks.
Can you just go into the BIOS to find most of the answers you want or during the bootup (POST)?
Old 04-27-02, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's a Compaq, you can enter the serial number in at their site and it will give you detailed information about all of the hardware in the PC. I'm not sure if other brands offer this.
Old 04-29-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Update:

Decided not to risk deleting the admin password. Brought the laptop back in to work. Had the network admin log in as the domain administrator, and create a local admin login for me on that machine.

Long story short: I have now taken 90% of the junk off of the 4.2 GB HD of my new Dell Inspiron 4100 PIII 600 MHZ with 128 megs of RAM.

Thanks for all the help.

Stay tuned for "Adventures of stevevt in Dell dvd-rom-buying Land."
Old 04-29-02, 10:14 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Trash that hard drive and get a 30GB IBM Travelstar for around $120.
Old 04-30-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never done this in Win2k but in WINNT i've booted to dos and deleted the SAM and then when you reboot the Adminstrator account has no password, etc... However, the PC is no longer in the domain and all the profiles that were on the pc are removed along with their data. It is a drastic step but it works well.

The few times I did it, I never had any problems afterwards. I'd just set a local admin pw that my group used, renamed the pc, put it in the domain, and setup whatever accounts needed to be setup.
Old 04-30-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...30GB IBM Travelstar...$120. <-- unnecessary

dvd-rom <-- necessary

If I ever find $120 that I really don't know what to do with, I'd consider getting a new hd. Last night, I freed up enough space to be pretty comfortable. This is just my work pc -- no gaming, imaging, etc., and not too many huge apps. Besides, all that data must weigh a ton, and I really don't want to lug around more pounds than I have to.