Reload this Page >

help with win2k accounts and emergency repair

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-26-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my win2k startup config files became corrupted and I had to use the emergency repair disk to get up and running again. (The disk was made on another computer if that matters).

When I logged on (using same username), instead of getting my normal desktop from before, I got the default user one.

It looks like it made a new account called asa.bp6 instead of logging me in my old account called asa. (bp6 is my computer name.) I can still see my old files in the my documents subdirectory under the asa account. There's nothing in asa.bp6.

Also, I haven't been able to get in the administrator account either, but I'm not sure if thats me forgetting what I renamed it to or it just not working.

Anyway, if anyone can give me some tips on how to get things back to normal, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 04-26-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I've got the administrator options back. It just wasn't turned on in the start menu.

There are only three accounts listed under Users and Passwords: the administrator account (somehow it got renamed back to admin - I had changed it to something else a while ago), my normal account and the guest account.
Old 04-26-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tried logging in as admin and deleting the asa.bp6 directory then logging back in as asa. Didn't work. Got the same default user stuff, plus lost all the settings I had made in the meantime (like IE and stuff).

BTW, I just noticed there is an administrator and admin directory as well as the asa/asa.bp6 problem.
Old 04-26-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, after a lot of messing around in the admin account, I managed to get most of my settings back.

The only things not working were the mouse software, Office, and outlook express. All made by microsoft of course. Reinstalling the mouse software fixed that problem. I'll deal with Office tomorrow. Outlook express is saying it couldn't be started because msoe.dll couldn't be loaded so I don't know what I'm doing to do about that.

Microsoft=