Reload this Page >

Any place to pick up a CueCat

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-26-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I get a Cue Cat? I would like to scan my DVD's into my computer? They used to be free, but I think they went out of business.
Old 04-26-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think a CueCat would work anymore. In order to use it, you needed to install software on your PC. The software would look up the UPCs on Digital:Convergence's servers after you scanned the bar codes and downloaded them to your PC. Those servers are now non-operational. As is Digital:Convergence.

Unless you're a hacker who can re-purpose the device (and a few have), I'd give up on this one!
Old 04-26-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here's a site with information, eBay has a bunch for auction.
http://www.cexx.org/cuecat.htm

Last edited by J-Dubya; 04-26-02 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-26-02, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by ehonauer
I don't think a CueCat would work anymore. In order to use it, you needed to install software on your PC. The software would look up the UPCs on Digital:Convergence's servers after you scanned the bar codes and downloaded them to your PC. Those servers are now non-operational. As is Digital:Convergence.

Unless you're a hacker who can re-purpose the device (and a few have), I'd give up on this one!
This isn't true at all.... I've got several CueCats and they all work great, and I've never installed the Digital Convergence software.

Chanster, first you need a CueCat... you can ask around at your local Radio Shacks to see if they still have any laying around but most likely they won't. If you can't find a free one, check eBay as there's always several for sale for around $5-$7. Then follow this link: DVD Profiler Forums

There's a link there for Catnip which is a freeware program that you'll need to enable UPC codes for the CueCat. There's also information on how to setup the CueCat and Catnip to work with DVD Profiler. I've had this setup for quite some time and I love it... I've loaded my 250 DVD's into DVD Profiler in about 2 hours with this.

That should be enought info to get you going, If you have any other questions, just lemme know.
Old 04-26-02, 02:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

Sounds like a question for the Hardware Forum. Moving thread.
Old 04-26-02, 02:31 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, the Computer Hardware Forum.
Old 04-26-02, 04:05 PM

I have an extra cuecat that I could trade/sell. Drop me a line if you are interested chanster or anyone else. Thanks
Old 04-28-02, 11:20 PM

Well, after reading all this stuff (especially Nuesh's post), I dug up one of my three cuecats (we got a bunch at work last year), plugged it up, installed catnip and dvdprofiler, set up the catnip profile, and catalogued all 94 of my dvds in about 15 minutes! This is neat! Thanks for the posts, fellas.
Old 05-03-02, 11:42 AM

The last time I went by my local Radio Shack (a few months ago), they still supposedly had a whole box of CueCats sitting in the back - I grabbed a couple. If I would've known people were selling them on EBay, I would've taken the whole box. ;-)
Old 05-03-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
on a related note, are there any programs (maybe catnip does this?) that will let you scan the bar code on, say for example, and CD and have it search a CDDB and tell you the title
I currently have a spread sheet in excel with my dvds and would like to do something similar with my cds and just copy and paste the text into excel. also if this is possible are there other databases like a CDDB for books, dvds and other products?
I do plan on downloading catnip and dvd profiler and checking them out since I got my cuecat a long time ago and never used it
Thanks for any info

Last edited by mikehunt; 05-03-02 at 10:40 PM.