Reload this Page >

USB Ports Stop Working

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

USB Ports Stop Working

Old 04-26-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB Ports Stop Working

My parent's PC had all 3 USB ports on the back of the PC stop working.

Any ideas on what can cause that?
Old 04-26-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are the USB ports next to the keyboard/mouse connection or in a slot like a modem would go? If they're in a slot, if the PC was moved recently the cable could be loose/off.

Also, depending on what OS they run, I'd go into device manager and look to see if the USB Ports are showing up and if they're working properly. You might want to remove them and reboot and see if they're detected again.

How old is the PC?
Old 04-26-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The PC was recently movied, but it just suddenly stopped working. The device manager says they are working properly.

WinME and the PC is about 1.5 years old.
Old 04-26-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

anyone?
Old 04-27-02, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

someone?
Old 04-27-02, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-28-02, 12:11 AM

I'd remove them from device manager, reboot and see what happens!
Old 04-28-02, 12:21 AM

....PC had all 3 USB ports on the back of the PC stop working. Any ideas on what can cause that?

The status in the Device Manager tab only reports the status of the driver. Since the drivers are present, they will of course say they are working properly. As I cannot eyeball the machine to get more info, I can only make assumptions:

APPROACH #1: Plug in a USB device that always draws power such as a HUB or a Microsoft Explorer mouse. If their always-on LED lights up, then you at least can determine that the power side of the USB connector is working AND there is no short. If the USB wire was shorted out, you would see a msg in the Device manager that indicated too much current draw.

APPROACH #2: Cold solder joint for the USB connector from the mobo to the connectors has finally loosened due to wiggling or flexing. TRYTHIS #1: Keep the device manager up and click on refresh without anything connected to the USB ports. After a bit of time, the refresh will complete successfully. Now plug some things into the USB ports that has an LED on it. Click on refresh again and if the LED lights up for even a moment, then there is probably a good physical connection available. TRYTHIS #2: If the TRYTHIS#1 didn't work, then keep something connected to the USB ports that has an LED on it and slightly wiggle the machine around and hold it in the new position you wiggled it to. If the LED on the USB device lights up for even a moment, then chances are you have a loose connection in either a wire or solder joint.

APPROACH #3: Shutdown the machine. When I say shutdown, it should be genuinely shutdown. Connect some items to the USB ports. Turn on the machine. During the reboot process, if the LEDs on the USB devices ever light up, then chances are you have a good physical connection and something else is causing the USB to be commanded off or shutdown.

APPROACH #4: Time to open up the machine and eyeball it for more info.....
Old 04-28-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ben732
I'd remove them from device manager, reboot and see what happens!
Already tried that... no dice
Old 04-29-02, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Thunderball

Already tried that... no dice
ok. did you go into the bios to make sure the usb ports are turned on? maybe the bios has an option to turn them off.

is it an add on card? if so try reseating the card. they can slip out or get loose.
Old 04-29-02, 02:57 AM

Thunderball, what happened so far?
Old 04-29-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Startide
Thunderball, what happened so far?
Here's the deal:

They have a USB mouse (Logitech iFeel I believe)...that lights up when power goes to it.

So I went up there, shut the PC down, then turned it back on with the mouse plugged in. The mouse lights up, but doesn't work.Neither does the scanner or any other USB devices.

I'm going to back up there again tomorrow to look at it. Any ideas?
Old 04-29-02, 12:46 PM

So when you removed the USB ports from device manager and rebooted they were detected again successfully? If so that's a good sign they're working.

I would also suggest looking in the BIOS to see if they happened to become disabled. Most CMOS SETUPs have an option to disable/enable the USB Ports.

I'd also suggest you open the PC (when powered off) and make sure all the USB cables are connected to the Motherboard properly.

If the device has power, then most likely the ports themselves are working (unless someone spilled something and the ports get wet?)

Also, does their PC have 3 or 4 ports? Normally I've only seen PCs with either 2 or 4 ports. never heard of any with 3..

Good luck!
Old 04-29-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Thunderball

Here's the deal:

They have a USB mouse (Logitech iFeel I believe)...that lights up when power goes to it.

So I went up there, shut the PC down, then turned it back on with the mouse plugged in. The mouse lights up, but doesn't work.Neither does the scanner or any other USB devices.

I'm going to back up there again tomorrow to look at it. Any ideas?
when windows has finished booting up try this. unplug then replug in the usb components one by one. see if the system redetects them. I had this problem with my A7V133. whenever power was lost or the usb components were unpluged. the computer would not redetect them until I unplugged them and replugged them in while in windows.

since usb allows hot swapping it works.

just be careful to not touch the usb ports with your hands

If you already tried this sorry.