Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I REINSTALL win98SE on top of itself?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-25-02, 08:52 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OR do i have to reformat my drive like some people have told me?

Windows has been getting the blue screen of death every time i boot up.

It would take alot of time and effort to back everything up and reinstall everything so i was hoping i could just REINSTALL my OS over the malfunctioning one.

What do you recommend?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i wouldn't recommend it. instead of reinstalling, look at what you've got going on right now. see if things are running in the background and try uninstalling junk that's accumulated over the years. (a good place to start is to check your startup folder to see if anything funky is in there.)
Old 04-25-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It depends on what version of 98 you have. If you have Win98 Upgrade then yes, you can reinstall 98 ontop of itself because it's like your upgrading 98 to itself. However, if you have 98SE or any other full version CD then you won't be able to reinstall without whiping the current OS from the HD. Full Version CDs won't install if it detects an operating system already installed.

There are ways around this however
Old 04-25-02, 10:36 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally posted by Ben732
It depends on what version of 98 you have. If you have Win98 Upgrade then yes, you can reinstall 98 ontop of itself because it's like your upgrading 98 to itself. However, if you have 98SE or any other full version CD then you won't be able to reinstall without whiping the current OS from the HD. Full Version CDs won't install if it detects an operating system already installed.

There are ways around this however
Yes i have the full version CD and its installed from that. How can i install over my old version? Please let me know u can email me at [email protected]

Should i just delete my WIN folder?
Old 04-25-02, 10:43 AM

It would take alot of time and effort to back everything up and reinstall everything
I used to feel the EXACT same way, until it became a hassle reinstalling Win98SE over itself seemingly every 3 months or so.

If you want to save time and effort in the long run, it really is better to backup your current critical files, wipe the drive, and reinstall Win98SE from scratch. I know, you'll have to re-install various peripherals, as well as software apps, but your PC will perform much better for you, and you'll be less apt to see those nasty blue-screens.

Of course, you could upgrade to XP and never see a blue-screen again (I haven't seen one in the 6 months that i"ve had it )
Old 04-25-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
start->run->sfc.exe

see if fixing the system files will solve your problem
even if you simply reinstalled win over top of itself you'd still probably need to reinstall your apps to get them to work since window needs all those registry entries

dos days were easier, you could move stuff to new directories at will and they'd still run

Last edited by mikehunt; 04-25-02 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-25-02, 01:50 PM

Yes i have the full version CD and its installed from that. How can i install over my old version?
If you have the OEM full version, you should be able to install it over an existing installation of the same version of that OS. If the installer detects an existing install of an earlier version, it will not proceed. To get around this, you have to move certain files or directories out of its reach (I had to do this last week for a friend who wanted his Win95 upgraded to WinMe).

RD
Old 04-26-02, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a way to reinstall the win98 OS and not touch your critical data files. It's a nice trick I picked up over at Anandtech a long time ago. This works if you have your data on your partition and you don't want to delete it or have to save it somewhere before reinstalling your OS. All you have to do when you reinstall your OS is reinstall the programs that you want and your settings. If anyone is interested you can leave me your email addy or I can post it here. Whichever.
Old 04-26-02, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bill_n_opus
There is a way to reinstall the win98 OS and not touch your critical data files. It's a nice trick I picked up over at Anandtech a long time ago. This works if you have your data on your partition and you don't want to delete it or have to save it somewhere before reinstalling your OS. All you have to do when you reinstall your OS is reinstall the programs that you want and your settings. If anyone is interested you can leave me your email addy or I can post it here. Whichever.
post it here

I know you can do it since I knew someone who called Microsoft and paid them money for tech support and they walked them thru doing it.

of course the person did not write down anything that was said so I have no idea how they did it.
Old 04-26-02, 02:41 AM

With the Win9X family, you can reinstall the OS over top of an existing install, and when it is finished, the registry settings are all preserved and it is pretty much like nothing ever happened. Requires a copy of the full version of the original OS, though. Doesn't work with Win2K. I use this technique I just mentioned to transfer Win9X installations via XCOPY over to fresh, newly-formatted hard drives.

RD
Old 04-26-02, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Save Ferris

Yes i have the full version CD and its installed from that. How can i install over my old version? Please let me know u can email me at [email protected]

Should i just delete my WIN folder?
Somewhere in the WINDOWS folder is a file called WIN.COM. That is the file that the OEM and OSR2 versions look for to see if Windows is already installed. Delete (or move) that file, and your OS should Reinstall without any problem. It's worked for me!
Old 04-26-02, 09:47 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally posted by bill_n_opus
Has what you were talking about already been posted? Did i miss it? Please share your info

or email me at [email protected]
Old 04-26-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here it is ...

Reinstalling Win9X without reformatting

[Go to front page] [mail me]

Windows in general, and Win9X in particular, tends to deteriorate over time - getting slower and developing problems. The definite solution for such problems is to reinstall from scratch. Many people achieve that by reformatting their HD, or at least their C: partition. This approach works, but at the cost of losing all the information on drive C.

Some suggest using deltree c:\windows and deltree c:\progra~1 instead. That usually works, but still loses some information: Outlook Express email, IE favorites, ICQ list, Netscape profiles... In order to avoid that (or the hassle of backup/restore), I've devised a method to reinstall without reformatting or losing anything!

1. While in Windows, copy the Windows installation files from the CD to your HD.
Win95: They are in \win95 (~35MB)
Win98: They are in \win98 (~100MB). You don't have to copy the subdirectories (OLS, channels...)
To international users: There are usually 2 versions: language-Enabled at \win9x\ena, and Localized at \win9x\loc. You can choose either.

I recommend creating a directory named "\install", preferably in a partition other than C:, and having under it the win9x directory. You could also keep other installation files there (DirectX, drivers...)

2. If your CD is an upgrade version, you'll need a copy of an older OS (Win3.x for Win95upgrage, Win3.x or Win95 for Win98upgrade). If you have it on CDROM, you should copy its installation set as well.

3. Reboot your machine, press F8, and choose "Safe mode command prompt only".

4. Remove any DOS drivers:
del autoexec.*
del config.*

5. Make sure the new installation won't see the old one. In order to do that, type:
cd windows
ren win.com win.co-
cd \
ren windows windows.old
ren progra~1 progra~1.old

6. Install!
D: (if it's on D
cd \install\win98 (Or whichever is appropriate)
setup

Now, you'll have a fresh Win9x installation. All the files from the old installation will be in c:\windows.old and c:\progra~1.old, from which you can recover whatever information you want. After you're done, you can remove these directories to save space.

Notes:
* I recommend leaving the Win9X installation on the HD. That way, if you ever need anything from it, you won't need to insert the Win9x CD. Remove it only if you're extremely short on free space.
* This procedure requires a lot of free space on C: - I recommend 500MB.
* If you have any DOS-based programs that rely on specific Autoexec, Config or "Boot to previous version of MSDOS" configurations, this procedure may render them inoperational.
* This procedure can work even if you can't start Windows at all. In most cases, you'll still be able to boot to "Safe mode command prompt only", and perform the above procedure. However, if you haven't copied the Windows installation beforehand, you'll need to have a DOS CDROM driver installed. For more information on this, read my article on the subject.

[Go to front page] [mail me]

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to reiterate ...

The advantage of doing it this way is that you will always have your CAB files on your HD which means that you never have to find your OS disk and slap it in because it's already there. You just have to point to your CAB files folder. This applies to any initial driver install too that Windows asks for. It should install faster too. Even if your OS is toast you can probably access your CAB file folder and through the DOS install command install the OS again.
Old 04-29-02, 07:33 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Thanks for all the input people!

Now i dont have to upgrade to WinXP or 2000 just yet