Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Disappearing drive...comments, suggestions?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-25-02, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, this is weird, and might be kinda long...
Running Win98, all updates, etc. I have an ASUS A7-V board which has the Promise ATA100 controllers onboard as well as the standard IDE controllers. Currently I have it configured like this:

Primary ATA100:
--Master:Maxtor 20GB 7200RPM (partitioned C:,D:,E:,F:)
--Slave:NONE

Secondary ATA100:
--Master:Maxtor 4.3GB 5400RPM (G:)
--Slave:Quantum Fireball 3GB (H:)

Onboard Primary:
--Master:DVD-ROM (I:)

Onboard Secondary:
--Master:CD-RW (J:)

This setup has been fine since I installed the Quantum drive about 6 months ago. I came home from work tonight, and after a bit of surfing realized the H: drive wasn't showing up in Windows Explorer. So, I decide to reboot to see if the drive gets picked up by the Promise controller; it does. I figured it was just a weird Windows thing and everything was cool....until it still did not show up in Explorer. Reboot again, check BIOS, drive is shown fine there...start in safe mode, still no drive. Check Device Manager and it is shown there with the other drives, but shows no assigned drive letter and the boxes are grayed out...

So I remove the drive from device manager and boot in normal mode. Windows does the "building driver database" thing and finishes loading...still no drive in Explorer. Partition Magic sees the drive, but says it is totally unallocated. FDISK sees the drive but claims there are no partitions defined! WTF??? I had no problems with this drive last night, and I come home from work today to find the partition is just gone. Of course I checked all the cables, power, etc., but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong in that respect; the drive is seen by all parts of the system, but it's like I just put it in and haven't partitioned it yet. Luckily, I had cleaned out that drive a little while ago and it was mostly just free space, but I'm still wondering what the hell happened! Corrupted boot sector? Flaky drive? (it is a bit old) Windows glitch? Any thoughts or insight is appreciated. I do intend to try the drive in a different config/PC when I get a chance.
Old 04-25-02, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought you were not supposed to run dvd rom or cdrom drives on the promise controller. why not move the hard drives onto the promise controller and move the dvdrom and cdrw to the primary/ secondary ide controllers.

I bet this solves your problem.
Old 04-25-02, 03:12 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gcribbs
why not move the hard drives onto the promise controller and move the dvdrom and cdrw to the primary/ secondary ide controllers.

that looks like how he has it set up in the description above.

--HN
Old 04-25-02, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by HN

that looks like how he has it set up in the description above.

--HN
You could be right .

I took onboard to mean onboard promise controller.
Old 04-25-02, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by gcribbs
I thought you were not supposed to run dvd rom or cdrom drives on the promise controller. why not move the hard drives onto the promise controller and move the dvdrom and cdrw to the primary/ secondary ide controllers.

As HN pointed out, the hard drives are on the Promise controller, the optical drives are on the "standard" IDE controllers.
Also, as I said before, this setup has been running fine with no problems for over 6 months. That combined with the fact that the BIOS and Promise controllers see this drive, I don't see how it's a config problem. I will try this drive on another IDE controller and another PC when I can find some time. It's just weird how one day the partition just vanishes, or so it seems...