Reload this Page >

testing websites

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

testing websites

Old 04-24-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
testing websites

i've been doing some flash developing and want to be able to test their download speeds, but since i've gotten broadband, everything is lightning quick and i'm not sure how fast they load on a 56k. is there a website you can go to, or some sort of browser you can install that will limit bandwidth to whatever speed you want so you can browse pages at slower speeds?
Old 04-24-02, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk God

just make sure its good enough for broadband users.. and say screw you to the dialup users
Old 04-24-02, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by twikoff
just make sure its good enough for broadband users.. and say screw you to the dialup users
yeah, i hear you. unfortunately there are still some people with money to spend on graphic design that have 56k. i don't mind making them wait a bit with a splash screen or something to hold them over, i just don't want them to have to wait 10 minutes.
Old 04-24-02, 10:50 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Look for a product called The Cloud. It's great for testing different bandwidths and they should have an evaluation copy you can use. You can even simulate a high-latency satellite connection. It's a bit complicated but it really helps, particularly in distributed multi-tier environments.

Or get a 56K modem.
Old 04-24-02, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by X
Look for a product called The Cloud. It's great for testing different bandwidths and they should have an evaluation copy you can use. You can even simulate a high-latency satellite connection. It's a bit complicated but it really helps, particularly in distributed multi-tier environments.

Or get a 56K modem.
thanks, i'll check that out.

i have a 56k modem, just no service to connect to. anyone want to give me their user name and password?

Old 04-25-02, 12:09 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.jimtools.com/html.html

scrolldown to the "Test" section. first do the "Page Download Size calculator" and then put that size into "Page/File download time calculator." That should give you a good approximation.

--HN