Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Video Card Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video Card Question

Old 04-24-02, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video Card Question

I am about to purchase a new computer and have a video card question. Actually, it's two questions.

1. Is there a big difference between the 64MB NVidia GeForce 2 MX and the 64MB DDR NVidia GeForce 3 Ti 200?

2. I've heard that NVidia is phasing out the GeForce 3 in favor of the GeForce 4 and keeping the GeForce 2 as their lower end card. If the GeForce 3 is a better card to get, instead of the GeForce 2, is it still a good option if NVidia is phasing it out?

I plan to use the new computer for some gaming, if that helps and I don't want to spend an extra $310 for the GeForce 4.

Thanks
Old 04-24-02, 05:11 PM

1. Is there a big difference between the 64MB NVidia GeForce 2 MX and the 64MB DDR NVidia GeForce 3 Ti 200?
Yes - the GF3 is a completely different architecture as compared to a GF2 board. You'll get much faster (and more fluid) framerates if you go with the GF3.
2. I've heard that NVidia is phasing out the GeForce 3 in favor of the GeForce 4 and keeping the GeForce 2 as their lower end card. If the GeForce 3 is a better card to get, instead of the GeForce 2, is it still a good option if NVidia is phasing it out?
I actually heard they were phasing out the GF2 boards and aiming the GF3 boards as their lower-end models (along with the GF4MX boards). The GF3 and the GF4 boards are very similar in architecture - in fact, the bonus of the 4 over the three is mainly faster ram and a higher clock-speed on the GPU. I personally have a GF3 Ti500 board (and when I got it, it was the "top of the line" board - GF4 didn't exist just yet) and I absolutely LOVE it. I have yet to throw a game at it that it can't handle, and I'm running with a PIII 1 Ghz CPU (which some may say might bottleneck things up, but I have yet to see any instance of it).

My reccomendation : Go for the GF3 board and don't worry about the GF4 yet. The only main advantage that the 4 has over the three is it can render 4x anti-aliasing without killing framerates (which on a GF3, while nice when enables, does eat up some resources). Save the cash, put it towards a bigger HD or RAM. A GF3 Ti200 will handle every game out there now without a problem.

BTW, I opted for a Ti500 over a Ti200 mainly because I never had a "top of the line" vid card (I was coming off a GF2MX board) and I was getting it as a gift - so I had to go all the way
Old 04-24-02, 05:25 PM

Thank you for your recommendation. I will go with the three.