Reload this Page >

Internet Explorer History not working for the last week or so

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-24-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just get blank listings for the past few days. I click Expand, and nothing expands, it's not keeping tabs on my History. Any idea what could be causing this? The old history files are fine, through 13 weeks ago. I don't want to have to lose all of that.

Help please!

WinMe.
Old 04-24-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How much free space do you have? If you have no free disk space you might want to free up space on your C drive.

You could try deleting your temporary internet files to see if that does it.

Normally, History is set to overright every x number of days. By default in XP I think it's 3 days. Open IE and go to Tools - Internet Options and there should be History Info right there...
Old 04-24-02, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ben732
How much free space do you have? If you have no free disk space you might want to free up space on your C drive.

You could try deleting your temporary internet files to see if that does it.

Normally, History is set to overright every x number of days. By default in XP I think it's 3 days. Open IE and go to Tools - Internet Options and there should be History Info right there...
It's set to keep the history for 365 days. It's only going back 13 weeks, but the info prior to that is lost, I'd imagine.

I have over 1 GB of free hard drive space too.

I'll run Cleanmgr, though I'm not sure what that would do.
Old 04-25-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

any ideas, gang?
Old 04-28-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I tried re-downloading and installing IE 6. Didn't work. I had previously deleted the entire history. Nope.

I tried to Remove the program and it gave me some Repair option.

That certainly didn't do it.

I'm thinking it's got to be some kind of Registry thing or something.

I'm going to try and remove Internet Explorer altogether. And reinstall it. Grr............

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-28-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Update: I uninstalled and reinstalled Internet Explorer as much as I could...deleted all the history again. Changed it to 10 days. It just does not log new websites. Links I have clicked no longer show up as visited.

This sucks so much. I can never ever use the History function ever again.

This sucks.
Old 04-29-02, 02:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

I am fairly sure there are browser add-ons/utilities that will carry out a history-type operation but better - only I can't recall the name of any just now....

[ OK, I found this one - but it costs: http://www.surfsaver.com/ ]
Old 04-29-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by benedict
I am fairly sure there are browser add-ons/utilities that will carry out a history-type operation but better - only I can't recall the name of any just now....

[ OK, I found this one - but it costs: http://www.surfsaver.com/ ]
That is an idea. But there's no way I'm paying for something that is already built-in to Internet Explorer.

None of the links that I have clicked are coming up as "Visited Links" if that helps anyone determine what might be going wrong here. History is still recording dates but no sites listed.

Old 04-30-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Update: Day 12

History is still not logging new sites, only new dates, but these are empty. Links I click on are not showing as visited links when I return to a site I've been.

It still sucks.
Old 05-02-02, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Update: Day 14.

History still not working. Links still not showing as visited.

Suggestions not coming in...please let them come in.

Please help me. Help me help you!
Old 05-02-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by LBPound
Update: Day 14.

History still not working. Links still not showing as visited.

Suggestions not coming in...please let them come in.

Please help me. Help me help you!
I wish I could help but if I was in your shoes, I'd have backed up my stuff and reformatted by now..
Old 05-02-02, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ben732

I wish I could help but if I was in your shoes, I'd have backed up my stuff and reformatted by now..
What do you mean by that? I tried to do a System Restore on my computer, but that didn't work. I don't really know how to back up Internet Explorer data like that. Especially, since I didn't *LOSE* any thing...I just can't save the new sites visited in the History folder.
Old 05-08-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Update: Day 20

Still not working, things aren't looking very good. If this doesn't get fixed, I might have to take a stand. I can't take this anymore.

It logs some days, but no sites within. This is no good.
Old 05-08-02, 11:46 PM

Holy crap!

If you figure out how to do that let me know.

That way I won't have to go in and delete my history every time I look at some boobies. My wife beats the crap out of me if she finds boobies in my history....

-K
Old 05-09-02, 12:59 AM

System restore for things like this is virtually worhless. You are going to have to format and reinstall. If you do not know what this is or don't know how to do it many can help you here.

However, this has been covered a million times and a quick search in this forum will yield plenty of answers.

C. Ryan
Old 11-01-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Internet Explorer History not working

I think I might have posted this when I first experienced the problem, about six months ago. Well, I still have the problem. Internet Explorer 6.0, History looks empty, no matter if I view by date, by site, etc.

Only thing I've found on the subject is there's an issue with IE and Windows XP. But I have Windows ME. I've tried upgrading, I've tried uninstalling, though that's pretty impossible.

It'd be nice to have a working History in IE. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-02-02, 02:04 PM

This may be a long shot, but check and make sure that you are not logging onto the computer with a user name that contains a @ or # character in it. IE is not capable of dealing with these characters as part of a user name.
Old 11-03-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wmunn
This may be a long shot, but check and make sure that you are not logging onto the computer with a user name that contains a @ or # character in it. IE is not capable of dealing with these characters as part of a user name.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm always logged on as Default or as nothing by just hitting cancel, so that's not it.

Just to clarify, because my original post might be confusing...when I open the History folder, it will show me some days that I visited websites, such as "Today", "Monday", "Last Week"...but there is no way to Expand them, i.e. there is nothing inside of these days.
Old 11-03-02, 07:40 PM

I can only think of one other method to take care of this, however, if you are not very good with the registry you may want to pass on it. It sounds like something in the registry has become corrupted or changed by something. It involves backing up the registry, and installing a copy of the default user registry file user.dat

once you have done this, try to use internet explorer for a few days and see if this fixes it. if so, you may need to remove your user profile from the machine and create a new one. beware though, if you are not competent and mucking about with the OS, you might be better off backing up all your data, and reload the OS from scratch to get rid of this issue.
Old 11-03-02, 07:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

http://www.purgeie.com/errcache.htm

There comes a time when you have to give up the ghost.

Annoying as it may be that a "simple" problem like this cannot be fixed, if the Registry repair option is not feasible perhaps you will have to bite the bullet and carry out the complete reformat that has been suggested higher up the thread.

And maybe try Navigator or Opera on your new install !
Old 11-05-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, the original thread exists. Thanks for merging and for the link to PurgeIE, Benedict - I'll look into it.
Old 02-10-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, it finally started working again! I don't know how, and it's been about 10 months, but hey, this is great! I can see what links I've clicked now, they change color! And it keeps a list of every site I visit.

Sweet!

I upgraded Windows Media Player lately and a few Windows Update things, so I guess they're somehow to thank for this. This is great. This thread finally meets resolution.
Old 02-11-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, I was happy too soon. Not logging sites to the History or marking links visited anymore. Just the sites I visited yesterday.