Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Difference between 20kb pic & 120kb pic?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-24-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clubphoto.com is about to delete my photos / albums if I don't upgrade to their premium membership which costs. So, I am saving my photos to a folder on my hard drive now. How come when I save the photos from my album they are like 20kb or 55kb, but when I upload a pic from my dig. camera they are like 158kb or 128kb (larger)? I really don't see a difference in the two. The ones I have dl'ed from the clubphoto so far when I open them are the same size as the ones from the dig. camera that are about twice the file size

I do notice that some of my photos from the dig. camera are smaller files. I believe that is from cropping them though, right?

What is the difference in the two file sizes? Will I be able to upload them (the smaller files) to the internet again one day as a regular size picture? I'm going to be building a web site one day and would like to be able to use a lot of the pics for it.

I'm pretty new to this so I thought I'd ask.......

Thanks!
Old 04-24-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There could be gobs of differences. Some questions, which may answer you question:
- Are they all the same format? (jpg?)
- Are they all the same resolution (600x300 pixels, for example?)
- Are they all the same... eh, resolution (300dpi, for example?)
- Do they all have the same amount of compression?
Old 04-24-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably because the pics u downloaded from clubphoto are lower quality resolution than the ones you uploaded. It's not that uncommon, especially if you only have a set amount of discspace.

As long as the picture looks clear, it doesn't really matter what size it is, IMO. Obviously the 20K pic is not as good an image as the 120K pic, but you learn to live with it.
Old 04-24-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

generally speaking, you want the files as small as possible (size wise, not dimension wise) so they will load faster. as long as they look acceptable, that is.

pictures typically come off of my nikon at around 1 meg each. i generally resize them and compress them down to about 50k each. for me, it's a good balance of size and quality.

cranky.
Old 04-24-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They are all JPG.

I was thinking it could be the resolution and I think you guys are right. All the pics are still clear though

crankyman - Is it just as easy to enlarge as you make yours smaller?

Thanks!
Old 04-24-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LX98Civic
They are all JPG.

I was thinking it could be the resolution and I think you guys are right. All the pics are still clear though

crankyman - Is it just as easy to enlarge as you make yours smaller?

Thanks!
nope. making them larger will most likely result in image loss. it won't look as good.

i typically save the originals on my hard drive and then resize them for 'web' purposes into a different folder. that way i can always go back to the untouched originals when needed.

cranky.