Reload this Page >

Computer keeps restarting by itself

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-24-02, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so i'm just working on my computer, and it just restarts by itself. It did it twice today. I'm running Win XP on an Athlon/ASUS K7M system.
Old 04-24-02, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Computer keeps restarting by itself

Originally posted by
Ok, so i'm just working on my computer, and it just restarts by itself. It did it twice today. I'm running Win XP on an Athlon/ASUS K7M system.
power supply going bad.

or memory going bad- long shot since usually you just get blue screens. not sure if XP might have other problems.

usually power supply however.
Old 04-24-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or it could just be windows. 2k was doing that to me a year or so ago, and I had to reinstall a couple of times because of it. Still have the same system.
Old 04-24-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was having my system reboot itself randomly in WinXP. Turned out to be a memory problem. No blue screens or anything would happen and nothing was ever in the event viewer logs.

Try turning on the full memory check in the BIOS and see what happens. That's how I was able to track it down to a memory problem because it would fail when testing upon power up. (It was Crucial DDR memory btw)
Old 04-24-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
also check to see if the cable from the power supply to the mother board is tight
one time mine somehow got loose and it would randomly restart
Old 04-24-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

thanks...i'll check it out...i doubt it's the memory since i got some crucial ram(from what i heard, one of the best brands). I'll definately check out the connection to the mb. is there any way to tell if your ps is going bad? The only way i can tell is when the fan starts making funny sounds, but that isn't happening in this case
Old 04-24-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by
thanks...i'll check it out...i doubt it's the memory since i got some crucial ram(from what i heard, one of the best brands). I'll definately check out the connection to the mb. is there any way to tell if your ps is going bad? The only way i can tell is when the fan starts making funny sounds, but that isn't happening in this case
harder to pinpoint slowly failing power supplies. pull out a part that you do not use much. see if the lower drain causes the restarts to stop. you can also use something like Motherbaord monitor to see if you see fluctuations in the power levels.

also even crucial memory can go bad or be bad. the advantage is that it is less likely. also they will replace the memory for free if it goes bad.

you can test that by lowering the FSB or lowering the timings from 2T to 3T.
Old 04-24-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every time I have had that self reboot problem it was my memory!

I have toasted 2 sticks a Crucial DDR in the past 6 months