Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How hard is it to install a hard drive??..

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-23-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to get a second hard drive for my computer. It would NOT be the main drive for the system. It just to store music and scanned pictures. How hard is it to install? I have installed cd drives before. But, I am not a computer expert. I have basic knowledge.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Assuming you have another connection available on your IDE Bus cable. You would set the jumper on the new hard drive to be a slave. If you don't have another connection available you will need to get a PCI IDE controller card. If that is the case then you would want to set the jumper on the drive as master.

You would want to go into the BIOS of your PC (usually hitting F2, F5 or F8 when you turn your computer on). In the BIOS you would want to set that there is another drive on the primary IDE Bus.

Most hard drive manufacturers include a software pack to install, partition and format the new drive for you. You would just boot to that media and go through the wizard. Maxtor has excellent instructions and software for their hard drives and their support is very good too.

If you dont have install instructions or software you can use the Windows Manager in Win2000 or WinXP to install, partition and format the drive.
Old 04-23-02, 04:27 PM

It's extremely easy nowadays. Most retail HD's even come with utitlities that will format the drive for you. But since this is a secondary drive that you will not be installing an OS on then it should be cake. All you need to do is format it, set it as a drive on the same IDE chain as your main HD and that's it.

Set the new HD as a slave by changing the pins on the back and connect it to the primary IDE.
Put your CD/DVD drives on the secondary IDE chains.

You are good to go. I know it sounds confusing but the company you buy it from should have extremely easy guides with pics online on setting it up.
Old 05-03-02, 11:37 AM

If you've installed CD-ROM drives, then you're already 90% of the way there. The physical install is exactly the same - jumper the new drive appropriately & install it. The only difference is that afterwards, you need to partition & format the drive. Most drives these days come with software that'll do that for you.
Old 05-03-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

really easy...if you buy retail hds, they even give you step-by-step directions. of course, i just buy what ever is cheapest. anyways, it's really easy. set the drive to slave(see the top of the drive), put it in the bay, plug in the ide and power cables (should be connected just like your old hd). run fdisk, and create primary partition, then format the drive, and you're set